How do you pass the time when flying?

What do you guys do up in the air when you’re cruising or just ATCing and it’s quiet?
Check maps/do something flight related?
Watch a film/TV over the top of your device?
Browse the web?
Read!?
I imagine there are some pretty wacky things out there! Of course, real pilots probably get quite busy with extra work, but we often find ourselves twiddling thumbs in cruise…
Looking forward to hearing your stories!

6 Likes

Forgot to put my own! Personally, I either eat/drink and admire scenery, or I look at the map and think about future routes. Sometimes, on SinglePlayer, I get a bit carried away and try some aerobatics before slipping quietly back into cruise, or simulate some form of failure. Oh yes, and I like playing music for the passengers from my laptop, though it’s mostly the safety demonstration or boarding music (I sometimes play this in flight!!)
When I’m ATCing I browse the community or the web.

3 Likes

Maximum I spend 5/10min cruise, unless you go around the map, I calculate descend and while wait I look at other people stat. If they are goin to same destination, I look at how they descend and speed…just learning. My long flights are not more then 100/130nm. You do scare me bit with roll playing😜

6 Likes

Sometimes i do flights and climb to 38,000 feet in a 737-800 after 5 minutes i get bored out of my mind and nose dives my plane into the ground

4 Likes

Do shorter flights then for everyone’s benefit! :) ;)

3 Likes

After AP is set, I’ll put my phone on the charger, power on my computer and check the forums 😁.

4 Likes

I listen to my Spotify Playlist…I actually have many, depending on my mood :)

1 Like

I listen to music and keep changing views ^^
But generally time to prepare descent comes fast!

And yes, I try to remain on my F-PLN and not divert!

2 Likes

Usually I fly around the afternoon. Sometimes I make myself a snack and just hang out in the kitchen until I need to change waypoints. In the real world when I am flying, I usually read the weight and balance or any other information manual of the plane to get to know the machine better. -W

3 Likes

I usually have about 10 minutes of cruising, I just go on my phone, check up on news, text, scroll through Instagram, and on the iPad I check other people’s stats, laugh at the many people who start their descent way too late and are diving from 15,000 feet while on final, etc.

4 Likes

I fly real world routes, (IFR plates; waypoints, headings, altitudes, and speeds) . I have all my flight aids turned off which include airport names, airplane names and airplane dots.
Since all my flying is regional real world routes, my cruising times are not that long. 40% of my time between waypoints is monitoring my navigation screens and instruments, and 40% is spent enjoying the Seattle scenery.

1 Like

I like to watch Air Crash Investigation and try to replicate the episode. More fun than it sounds.

4 Likes

Lots of good music and talking with

i just listen to music while i’m flying,watch a movie,watch girls,do work…all in the inflight entertainment stuff…

2 Likes

Im going to try that

When I’m controlling and it’s not busy I try to fall asleep but only with one eye open otherwise my supervisor will fire me. When I’m flying I wait for my complementary in-flight drink service and horrible plane food.

5 Likes

You control @Swang007, never seen you. Which server, Only on special occasions? I thought you busy wit personal stuff and with moderating forum.

I’m traveling a lot at the moment and so I don’t have a lot of time. At the moment I control a few times a week, but usually every day when I’m not busy on the advanced server.

1 Like

I have the problem with the time difference. To fly with the other guys I have to get up late at night or I’m working (I call a lot and sit at the PC) where I need to constantly watch the not my boss comes into my office. At night, then I focus completely on flying and drink a Beer. … and have my peace because my wife is sleeping.

2 Likes

I giggled :)

1 Like