How do you like to use the FPL system in global?

I’ve always found it confusing:
Flying a Westjet 737-700 from Calgary to L.A.;
FPL is set with a whole turn in small stages, and the flight broken down into multiple waypoints along the way;
This is how I do that flight with a Westjet 737 in global (Not really anymore on the return flight(with the same aircraft) we had to evacuate just after leaving the apron because of a structural issue)
Flying a delta connection CRJ-700 From Calgary to Salt Lake City:
Whole turn from Calgary in 2 waypoints, and the entire flight was in 1 waypoint, then the turn into Salt Lake City was 2 waypoints too.
That is how I generally do my flights in global now, but which do you prefer?

3 Likes

Personally, I like detailed flightppans. Sometimes I even make waypoints along points of interest along the way. For me, detailed plans make it more realistic and more fun. The shorter the flight, the less waypoints, though.
Just my two cents :)

5 Likes

Hmm, speaking of points of interest, I just learned that some westjet flights instead of using waypoints they use vor points for radio contact.
(About 75% of our radio contact outside of Canada is advertising maple syrup and poutine to the towers, we even have c130s that have little boxes with parachutes to drop them)

4 Likes

Personally use simbrief to produce the flight plan based on the latest weather data and enter this into the flight plan system. This gives the most accurate routing based on using combination of waypoints and VORs. Still have to program in own SID and STARs though.

1 Like

I have a couple different ways I like to use FPLs in IF. As @MrMrMan said, detailed flight plans are a great way to feel realistic when flying. There are some great websites out there that provide them for free, such as Simbrief.com and FPLtoIF.com.

Sometimes, if I go for a shorter sightseeing flight, I’ll use skyvector.com to look at different waypoints I can see or GPS coordinates to follow, and use those with my flight plan as well. For more on using GPS coordinates in your flight, look here: How to Input GPS Coordinates to your FPL

(Most flights use a combination of VORs and GPS waypoints these days. There are plenty of resources around if you’d like to learn more, but I’m not sure where to tell you to go)

2 Likes

The thing is in Canada, where most of my flights take place, it’s missing 50% of the waypoints. My flight plans have to be choppy in Canada because of that. And I could probably look at fpls on flightaware.

1 Like

As @tomthetank said, there are always GPS coordinates!

Also, @tomthetank thanks for that link, I’m going to be using GPS coordinates much more now!

2 Likes

Fair. I will definitely check out those websites.

2 Likes

My question 2 is, do you also use gps co-ordinates and vors or just waypoints?

1 Like

@MrMrMan Be sure to check out @ Chris_S’s fpltoif.com!

4 Likes

Ooh, that could come in handy for my domestic flights

1 Like

You can take flights from FlightAware and get them 100% accurate from FPLtoIF. Infinite Flight doesn’t have allllll the waypoints from the real world (there’s so many, adding them all will take a while) but FPLtoIF converts missing ones to GPS coordinates.

1 Like

I’ll type mine up in my notes and then copy and paste the whole thing in. Great for search patterns with NAV and putting VFR waypoints like towns or lakes into your map.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.