How do you fly to dangerous airports with no STAR?

Lukla airport does not have any STAR, so how can i land there?
as well as other airports that are like this

Sorry for the inappropriate topic, just came across this

2 Likes

Your best bet is to see if there are any charts you can find on Google. Or you could manually fly the approach

2 Likes

Flying without STAR isn’t dangerous; follow what @MJP_27 said. Also keep in mind that the main goal to descending is to hit 3000’ by the start of the localizer cone

2 Likes

You fly if visually. No maps/waypoints needed🙃

2 Likes

Fly parallel to an aircraft with a jetpack.

Just kidding. Please don’t do that. I’d recommend following what was mentioned above, and possibly looking on platforms such as YouTube which may show others doing a similar, difficult approach.

3 Likes

but guys
I am talking about airports like Lukla
were there are mountains and i can follow the cone
and there are no STARs that i can follow
@Stellar_G

and there are many mountains at that airport and i do not know the Vis approach
@SamC

Fly there in solo look at the mountains around the area and your set to fly it visually.

1 Like

Your best bet is to search for a visual approach chart if this is available. If not (Example: The knowledge about the airport is just carried on from one pilot to the next one), then I would recommend to go through the satellite imagery available (Google Earth is great) and to plan accordingly in 3D view.

1 Like

do a visual approach, if needed. note that u must be at 2500ft AGL or lower at the start of the localiser, in this case at Lukla, plan a visual in between the geography, u can only enter the cone at a 3nm final at lukla. bear that in mind.

This is basically where planning comes in.

• Consult online information sources such as YouTube videos, any charts if available etc
  • Practice before your flight in solo. This enables you to familiarise yourself with the airport.

I haven’t flown into Lukla, but I suspect that it’s not the conventional 2500ft agl, localiser kind of environment. Due to the terrain, a visual approach is very likely.

I’ve flown to Lukla a few months ago. I don’t remember the exact altitudes at critical points, but if you fly in from Kathmandu you wouldn’t do a straight-in for sure. Lukla is at the near end of a long valley, so you enter the valley and approach Lukla basically on a long base leg which is leading you along the valley to a point where you’d enter a rather short final approach, all visual of course…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.