How do the callsigns in the UK work?

Hi.
I’m from the UK and I know a large amount on American callsigns and how they work but never my own country’s. Could somebody please explain how UK callsigns work, how ATC would say/pronounce them and some examples.
Thank you very much

1 Like

And another here :). Airline Callsigns are world wide, meaning if a US Airways plane was in the uk it would still be Cactus, for example. GA Callsigns, from the uk, always start with a ‘G’.

1 Like

Yep it starts with a G

G-XLEA is a BA A380

1 Like

An example would be G-EUXF an A320 arriving in London LHR

G-EUXF or G-XLEA are registration numbers not callsigns. For those aircraft in particular callsigns would be “speedbird [flight number] super” for the A380. For the A321 it would be “speedbird [flight number]” or if doing a domestic service it would be “shuttle X” where X is not the flight number but something like 17W or 12T etc.

1 Like

LOL, I did my first flight in the UK in IF and was using speed bird instead of shuttle-X, sorry😁😁

#imAmerican

You make me sick… lol.

Speedbird only gets used on international flights. The biggest aircraft to use the Shuttle call sign is the B767 for Heathrow to Edinburgh.

1 Like

Ha, no problem :)

It is true that when flying as a BA plane in the London region strcitly speaking callsigns should be shuttle and not speedbird, but I am guilty of using the speedbird callsign too.

As a sheduled service you are right the 767 does get used going to Scotland. However, occasionally for operational reasons 777 and 747 have been use on domestic services. I seem to remember at least one 777 going to MAN and a 747 going to Glasgow or Edinburgh in the last 12 months.

Why thank you for the info!