How Do Planes Takeoff?

Hello there guys! My name is Dan and today I thought of something that I have been wondering for a while. How do planes takeoff?

Now, I know some of you guys know the answer to that question. But I have made a good drive document so all of us can edit what we know.

Right now only people can view and comment. But once gained trust, you can edit the document. Here is the link to the document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bZkouzKAoPwuhraqNZi_z2qrawtiSMJ0-s7BSYbQumc/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you to everyone that contributes to this, means a lot. Also, if you edit even the tiniest errors, you will get credited!

What’s the reason of this? Well, I thought. The IF community knows so much! Why not ask a question that many have been asking and solve that question. Not just solve it, but back up every point that has been made. So every information is correct.

Kind Regards

Planes takeoff when they are filled with gas that is lighter than air like balloons.

20 Likes

I want to make it even more detailed :)

Someone really strong man pushes them and when they go they don’t stop.

Na I’m just messing with ya ;). Here is a small part of reason:

1 Like

AR_AR to the rescue again with the sarcastic answers

Is this really a thing?

“How a Jet Turbine works?”
“How does an ILS work?”
“How is a plane pressurised?”
“What are the chemical properties of Avgas against normal fuel.”

All the above are valid technical questions, such things the basics of flight can be easily discovered and don’t really need to be covered here, indeed all the gaps in your knowledge can be learned through the medium of Google or Flight school books. I recommend Trevor Thom’s PPL series.

2 Likes

Agree with @N8TCH, using correct research will find the correct answer. The trouble with people posting here how they ‘think’ something works means that possibility of the wrong information being passed around!

1 Like

This is how planes fly and its from the NASA website!
https://www.grc.nasa.gov › StudentSite

Yep. It has happened to me.

1 Like

But my mummy told me it’s magic :(((

2 Likes

Personally I don’t think you would download a Flight Sim app unless you had some knowledge about flight, don’t really see what the OP is trying to achieve.

1 Like

Ahh true. I learnt this last year as “Aerofoil”, little more info would be better :)

You may add this
"Bernoulli’s principle states that Velocity of the fluid and Pressure are inversely proportional

Ie. V < insert proportionality symbol> 1/P"

2 Likes

Basically, the engines provide thrust, which brings the plane to speed. Through this speed, the wings is able to push higher pressure air underneath the wings (needs citation?) and therefore providing lift by “pushing” the wings up, along with the main fuselage and all the things that come along with it. This explains why planes though MANY TIMES denser than air can take it to the skies. Nothing got to do with hot air balloon physics.

Bernoulli’s principle is by far the most known among aviation lovers but Newton’s third law may also have if any, a minute part in generating lift. As air hits the bottom portion of the airfoil the wind is deflected downward and the airfoil is deflected upward. this works in conjunction with Bernoulli’s principle.

1 Like

And… How does one gain trust?

1 Like

I search it up and find multiple sources. And if they are correct, I add it :)

1 Like

Wait a minute, the title says “how does a plane TAKEOFF”, not how does a plane fly…

Hence, the plane just lifts it’s nose in the air :)

2 Likes

Hahaha. I’m also kind of explaining how a plane flys…We will see once it’s done! :)

Do you want the simple explanation or the not so simple explanation.

Simple explanation.

Airfoils are key here. The engines provide thrust which push the aircraft forward, as air begins to hit the wings at an increasing rate, the shape of the wing causes more air particles to hit the underside causing higher pressure, which results in lower pressure above the wing. If the upward force is greater than the downward force i.e gravity, then you get lift.

Not so simple explanation.

M I believe is the maximum camber (The distance from the top wing chord to the bottom).
p is the location of the maximum camber.
X is the thickness divided by 100, but this is different to what’s displayed in the image.

Your mummy lied to you.