How do I use the NAV section of my interface which is between systems and AP option

I have flight a plan and allocated altitude, how do I make sure the aircraft follows it. The aircraft is following the heading as per the plan when I selected LNAV and VNAV in autopilot section, but not the altitude. Also, There are so many options in NAV and I don’t know how to use them. Pls help.

On a separate note, how do I activate appr now? I am flying after over a year and I don’t have the option to auto land anymore? Even the glide slope support is missing, earlier I could select a runway and the HUD would show me the altitude and runaway alignment, can’t find that anymore

Welcome back to the community!

To answer a few of your points individually:

NAV SOURCE is an option to set the source of what your aircraft will follow - it could be set to GPS (to follow your flight plan) or NAV1 (if you’re tuned into an ILS or VOR) or NAV2 (same as NAV1, just a secondary NAV system.)

Side note: VNAV does not work on climb/ascent. It only works for descent for now. The devs have said that VNAV for climb is something that they’re probably looking to add in the future.

About APPR - first, you need to tap on the airport, go to the RWYS tab and select the appropriate ILS frequency that you need for landing. Set that frequency to NAV1. Then you should activate APPR when you’re within range of the red ILS “cone” that you’ll see on the map, when approaching to land. The system will automatically switch you from GPS mode to NAV1 mode and follow the localiser and glideslope. These “LOC” and “GS” captures will be highlighted in green next to the APPR button once they’re properly established.

Another side note: you have to be in range (the red cone) for the LOC and GS to work properly. Otherwise it’ll show you unreliable readings.

There’s an excellent tutorial on APPR here:

Also, since you’re flying after a while - a lot has changed in the past year, including addition of SIDs and STARs, 3D airports, new ATC procedures, realistic airspaces, and a whole lot more. I recommend reading the user guide thoroughly so you can be up to date and ready to fly again!

Good luck, and good to see you back in the game!

2 Likes

Hi Sooraj

Thank you so much. It really helped. I have a few more question regarding NAV. Can I ask you?

Go ahead. Ask them.

Thanks

1.What is LNAV/VNAV? and what is their use in the game?
2. In NAV, Source can be selected as GPS, NAV1 and NAV 2? What does this mean and how do i use these?
3. What is BRG1, BGR2, ADF Heading or CRS1 or CRS2? How do I use these? What is map range?

Just to understand- When I set a flight plan and add all fixes, It means I have a GPS plan, is that correct?
Also, when you say NAV1(If I have tuned into an ILS or VOR) what does this mean? and how do I tune into an ILS or VOR?

• LNAV stands for Lateral Navigation. It means “left-right” navigation. It’s like a GPS for your car. If you have a flight plan, LNAV will follow that route.

• VNAV stands for Vertical Navigation. While LNAV follows the route, VNAV follows altitudes. If you input altitudes in your flight plan, VNAV will follow them. However - in Infinite Flight, VNAV only works for descent, not climbs.

• GPS Mode: If you hit LNAV with the nav source as GPS, it will follow your flight plan. Your autopilot will follow the magenta line of your flight plan route. In the HUD view, this is shown as a magenta line on the horizontal situation indicator (the big circle that acts like a compass)

• NAV1 Mode: Suppose you wanna track an ILS. You select the runway you want, from the RWYS tab in the airport map, and select the correct ILS frequency for the runway - and set it to NAV1. Now, NAV1 is armed with the course and information for an ILS approach. If you change your nav source to NAV1, and hit LNAV, your autopilot will follow the route defined by the ILS. This is most useful when shooting an approach, and especially if you want to auto-land your plane (APPR). Side note: in the HUD view, it shows up as a green line on the horizontal situation indicator - not a magenta line.

• NAV2 Mode: Same as NAV1. Just a secondary nav system.

Remember how I said that NAV1 can be set to an ILS, and it automatically gets the course and information for an ILS? Well, turns out, it can also be set for any other nav station, such as a VOR (VHF omnidirectional range) or an NDB (non-directional beacon). But in those cases, you have to set the bearing and course which you want the aircraft to follow, in relation to the VOR or NDB that you are tracking. BRG1 and CRS1 is simply the bearing setting and the course setting for NAV1. BRG2 and CRS2 are the same for NAV2. ADF heading is only used if you want to track to an NDB - which is rarely used.

This specifies the range of the map that you see in the Cockpit view, in the secondary flight display screen - the screen that’s to the right of the attitude indicator. There is a little map there of your flight plan. Think of range like a “zoom in” or “zoom out.” A map range of 10NM would give you a very zoomed in view (whatever is 10 nautical miles around you) while a map range of 320NM would give you a very zoomed out view (320 nautical miles around you).

I hope this cleared up some of your doubts! Feel free to reach out with more questions - and I also recommend giving the User Guide a good read, especially the “Descent to Landing” section, for learning more about these systems :)

2 Likes

That is correct.

There’s some excellent tutorials to explain this on Infinite Flight’s YouTube channel. I’ve linked it here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPK_42U0EhIcMnl5fXdwqxC0B6X2AE8Hl

Also, be sure to read the user guide as well! :)

1 Like

Thank you so much CaptionSooraj!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.