How do I tell an ATC I’m doing their instruction as fast as I can

I almost got a violation because I had to go from fl 240 to 11,000 feet and I am decending as fast as I can what do I do???
Update: I’m panicking I had to do a missed approach and I’m instructed to fly over the airport now the tower wants to contact me what do I do?!??!! This hasn’t happened to be before

You just cant if your on expert then they can see you descending and will know you our.

Dude chill stay with approach. What airport are you at?

1 Like

If you are on Expert Server just follow instructions and chill,if you are on trainer server just chill…

What he said 👆🏼
Calm down, if approach just sent you the instructions, Just do what they say in a timely fashion. Keep in mind they don’t expect you to drop 20,000ft in 1 second.

expert ATC knows if you are doing their instructions or not.
except if you’re on training server and the ATC isn’t a certified expert one :)

1 Like

Its normal for approach to vector you directly over the field if the situation to do so arises. With that being said, just follow every command to a “T”. If approach is vectoring you into another aircraft, that’s not entirely your fault. Yes as a pilot see and avoid is something that you should be doing but say you’re in IFR conditions. Its kinda hard to see and avoid another aircraft if you’re 0 0 in the clouds.

Now keep in mind, not everyone is perfect and controllers can make mistakes. I’ve done it. As a pilot you should know the difference between what you can and cannot do based on the limitations of your aircraft.

If your aircraft has flaps, spoilers, and gear that can extend and retract, and you’re trying to lose a ton of altitude without overspending you can do the following:

• Extend spoilers
  • Extend flaps
  • Extend gear (you don’t have to be on final to extend the gear) Deploy them at 10,000ft if you absolutely need to and if you’re that high.

All of this will cause drag. The drag will slow you down and will allow you to increase your rate of descent.

If you’re at FL240, you’re too high to be in contact with ATC for starters. Should be contacting approach once you hit FL180. And based on the altitude drop that you had to do, it appears that you were rather close to your destination and still high. Not a good mix.

7 Likes

You’ve had some good answers, I trust they were useful.

One more thing though, which has not been mentioned. You said you had to descent from 240 to 11000. From what I understand you did not make it to 11000 before you got your next vector and altitude, resulting you in being too high to capture the ILS, resulting in the Missed Approach. Something like that.
Would that be correct?
I wonder, we’re you coming in too high perhaps? We see MANY aircrafts flying too fast and too high and starting their descent too late.

For next flights, aim to be at about 15000 feet, when you’re approx 50 NM from the airport. This will ensure you have plenty of time to descent to the instructed altitude.

On the internet and app stores you find plenty ‘altitude calculation tools’. You enter your current + desired altitude, your ground speed and distance, and the tool gives you the descent rate. Many pilots on IF use these - except the ones that come in too high…

Good luck!

2 Likes

[This is not directed at the OP in particular, but the root cause of the situation is indicative of a larger trend among pilots, so I think it’s worth saying.]

It’s amazing to me how high people stay. Yesterday, controlling one of the few times I only control tower and ground and not approach as well, I was reminded why I usually control approach too. Pilots 12 miles out were on average above 16k feet and 430 knots GS. Flat out, that is simply insane. I know no one wants to slow down, but it’s borderline insane to try to lose 13000 feet in the span of 5 miles.

Approach controller or not, pilots need to start taking it upon themselves to descend responsibly. You should never be above 10k AGL within 20 miles of the field. I know I’m a broken record on the subject, but people are always on here clamoring for Realism™…unless it slows them down or makes them descend. Then they don’t care. When’s the last commercial flight you took where you dive-bombed the intercept from 15000 feet 5 miles from intercept? Never.

Instead of worrying about how many windows a model has or whether there’s a CRJ from the wrong country at your field, how about we all start descending responsibly? It makes your final approach so much easier. Why people 10 miles out at 16k feet think they’re going to be sequenced in front of someone at 4k is beyond me. Unfortunately, we don’t have the means to communicate “you’re not getting anywhere near the cone until you get yourself down from the stratosphere” so pilots need to start taking it upon themselves to start their descent before they’re 15 miles from the field. And there’s no reason you need to stay at 10100 feet simply to keep going 400 knots GS for as long as possible.

You want Realism™? Start working on adding it to your own flight habits. Then you can worry about liveries parking at the wrong gates.

[Again, not directed specifically to the OP, but it is relevant to the scenario, and it’s a common occurrence. Calling in 40 miles away at FL240 then constantly checking in because you’re not being directed to the cone (again, common occurrence, not just here) should be self-evidently placed at your own feet. Why those pilots at 16k are shocked when not taken straight to the localizer, I will forever fail to comprehend.]

3 Likes

MaxSez: The Question was “how do I respond”! I don’t think @SPB2727_Skyteam was looking for a flying lesson, a Tutorial on the working of IF Airspace Control or how individual IFATC’s practice there trade. He’s been with us since 2015. Give the guy a brake tell him the comm menu is not Pilot Friendly.

The menus are stacked decks, there written by and in favor of ATC. The Truth will set you free! “Just follow Instruction” is BS, non-iresponsive and fails to answer the mail as usual… Just saying! G’day

1 Like

They’re right, you were coming in a little high to be in contact with approach. Slow your speed before you start your decent and start your decent early. You’ll thank yourself in the long run. You don’t have to start your decent at max vs to take advantage of speeds to get you there quicker. Take your time and get there slowly. In a real world scenario you would have had tons of screaming babies on board… 😭

Option 1, If you are with Approach you can say unable when you first recieve an instruction you can’t execute. In this case you would not be able to say unable because in any scenario, you will be able to descend. If there was terrain you would just ask for an altitude change because that is the appropriate way to tell ATC that they are vectoring you into a mountain, and also the only reason you would ask for an altitude change.

Option 2, just let approach do all the hard work for you and descend at an appropriate VS whilst recieving vectors. Say thank you aftwards because you contacting approach above the established appropriate alltitude and/or beyond the established appropriate distance from the airport is infuriating, as you can see in the posts above.

1 Like

While I see you’re point, it’s also helpful to the OP to avoid having the same issue in the future… descending at a good time is important for that to happen so I think it’s good, for all readers, to see importance of why

1 Like

I think we’ve burned this one into the table. Long story short, please help ATC out by planning your descent further out. It makes it easier not only for them but for you and other pilots who are trying to get into the destination airport.

2 Likes