How do i takeoff with the 737

When i take off with the 737-700 there is no problem but when it comes to the 800/900 it gets tricky because when i takeoff the tail strikes the ground and the plane goes up and down, am i taking off at a too high speed or what am i doing wrong please help.

Tail strikes are caused by over-rotation. When you’re on your takeoff, wait for your speed to build up and lift the nose gently until you have 5-10 deg nose up attitude. Check it there until your mains leave the ground and don’t let the aircraft rotate as they do. You may even need some forward pitch to couteract when the mains leave the ground.

2 Likes

The 900 has a longer fuselage. Your tail will strike at 9°, so limit your pitch rotation to 5 °- 6° until your wheels leave the ground. You will also need to a faster take off speed.

2 Likes

Thank you guys for responding and helping me

(@dennid322) Nigel and Thomas are absolutely right “over rotation” appears to be the main factor here I believe. Weight and it distribution in the pits and incorrect “V’s” may also play a part. Here’s some numbers that may help:

Insure your Gross Take Off Weight is at or below the figures listed in the W&B Tab: 737 average, MTOW- 70,000kt
737 V’s average: V1-154k. VR-162k V2-168k.
T/O. From the line up: Flap 5, release the brake, slow steady power increase, roll, V1 the airplane comes alive, VR slow smooth yoke rotation, watch the HUD the Stadia Line (artificial horizon line) should be on or just above the first upper tick (10*) at V2 the nose wheel comes off, clime out begins. maintain angle of attach, Straight Out, Wheels and Flaps Up at or about 500ft, Clime out…your on your way to V2 & Cruising. Max Sends

Long story short since @mustangmax explained it, don’t pull up until you see V1 speed and when you pull up, have it be a shallow climb then once you gain ~~200 ft., you can make your climb steeper.

Long live the DC-9

Alright thanks guys happy flyings!

Initial pitch for the 737s is 10°.

The 737-800/900 are known as the low flyers, if you watch them rotate, their rotation is much slower, that is why they take up a lot of runway, but once they are off the ground, the 737 rotates faster since the pilots don’t have to worry about a tail strike, also when the 737 lands, it doesn’t flare as much as the other aircraft, but to pull this off it has to come in on a higher approach speed. If you see me on Live and I’m flying the 737-800/900, I preform these different flares and rotations.