How do I read this RNAV Arrival chart?

I am trying to decode this RNAV procedure and I am trying to figure out what all of the numbers over the lines between waypoints are. Can anyone help?

https://flightaware.com/resources/airport/IAD/STAR/HYPER+SEVEN+(RNAV)/pdf

2 Likes

Top is altitude middle is your vertical speed and lowest line is your heading

1 Like

Source: CFI Notebook

7 Likes

No, that isn’t it. The lowest is the distance between the two, I know that. The top can’t be altitude because I would be going from 17000-7000-14000 feet in the approach procedure, and the middle can’t be vertical speed because that is too low a VS, -3300 is unhealthy for aircraft.

Would that mean that from DELRO to LIRCH in the RNAV approach procedure I’m doing, I would ascend from 8000 to 14000?

You need to cross LIRCH at 14000ft MSL, then HYPER at 10,000ft MSL and 250knts IAS.

1 Like

Yes, but the recommended altitude for DELRO, the waypoint before it, is 8000.

7000ft MSL is the Minimum Enroute Altitude between DELRO and LIRCH.

Minimum en route altitude (MEA), alternately spelled as Minimum enroute altitude , is the lowest published altitude between radio navigation fixes that assures acceptable navigational signal coverage (see MRA) and meets obstacle clearance requirements (see MOCA) between those fixes.

Via Wikipedia

So I can stay at FL140 from RBV to LIRCH?

Yes, that would be fine.

1 Like

This is a good tutorial topic… I’ll make one soon

ok do i need to absolutely learn that to be a pilot?

To be a real pilot, yes.

I’ve heard McDonald’s not too bad

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.