How do i know what a good landing is?

Good morning/evening IFC merry Xmas to everyone I jus had a quick question and that is I have seen some people post about a good landing is no more then 200 and some say even less but my question is how do u ik what number? for example some people on fsx/xplane have a way of when they touch down a number like -300 pops up so is There a way on IF I can kno or is there an app I need to download?

your answers are much appreciated like always merry Xmas.

5 Likes

They are speaking of VS (Vertical Speed). It should be somewhere in your instrument bar.

1 Like

oh ok I thought it was something else lol

You’re talking about VS on touch down, right?

yes I wasn’t thinking vs I thought it was an app that told u my bad…

There’s nothing in IF that shows your exact VS on touch down however, there’s an app called In-Flight: Operations. It gives a complete report of your flight including your VS on touch down.
*The VS does not pop up, you check it after the flight.

6 Likes

oh ok thank you

1 Like

It’s there on the right side, just beside the MSL altutude. Make sure you have full HUD on.

i see it sadly u need the hud to view it :(

You have Vertical Speed available in the bottom status bar. No need for HUD.

A good landing is around -250VS. Anyday landing is 250-350. Use the replay and see of its smooth or not!

u right I had it on the whole time and never realized smh

1 Like

I love a nice and smooth landing don’t get me wrong but if I had to slam it one day I would without hesitation…

What do you mean You need the HUD to see this? The HUD comes on automatically. Just turn it on when your landing, using HUD view. Your landings will be smoother, I promise.

ight bet i’ll aim for 350 or less lol

Take a look at this, I bet you can get a better consensus on this.

that’s actually the topic that made me make this one (which now ik was stupid) and it made me think but I was wrong but I thank everyone for answering my question and have a happy holiday.

1 Like

The steps for a safe landing:

a) A stabilized approach, targeting a glideslope of -3 degrees and an indicated airspeed of VREF, should be maintained for a sufficient time prior to reaching a height of 50 feet above the landing surface. During this time, there should be no appreciable change in the power or thrust setting, pitch attitude, or rate of descent. The glideslope should not be steeper than -3 degrees.
b) Below 50 feet, there should be no nose depression by use of the longitudinal control and no change in configuration that requires action by the pilot, except for reduction in power or thrust.
c) The average touchdown rate of sink at TD shall not exceed 3 feet per second and the maximum rate of sink at TD not to exceed 6 ft/s.

So we are looking at a VS of around 180 FPM and everything over 360 FPM is already a hard landing. The 747-400 FCTM also states:

• Do not allow the airplane to float: Fly the airplane onto (not into) the runway
  • Do not extend the flare by increasing pitch attitude in an attempt to achieve a perfectly smooth touchdown.
  • Landing with extremely low sink rates is more likely to experience a landing gear shimmy event than a firmer landing because the torsion links remain in an extended vertical position where the damper has less mechanical advantage for longer periods of time

Here at 3:17 min you can see what a shimmy event is:

1 Like

You’ll know what a good landing is when you perform one lol

You’ll know you’ve executed a good landing (using the A350 for example) when the gear is flat on the ground but the nose is still pointed at a slight upward angle. The best way to check this is to use your outside view, where you can see one whole side of the aircraft.