How do i know how far i am from airport after take off ?

Fly runway heading for 8-10 NM before making your departure turn. Use the end of the cone as a guide before turning.

if i wanna take off with the distance of 10 NM as stated above…how do i know that im 10 NM away and safe for turning ?

And by end of cone does it mean the red boxes while landing for guidance ?

That means, once you pass the runway threshold (opposite end of the runway) fly 8nm-10nm. There’s ways of judging how far 8nm-10nm is, the ILS cone is a good visual as it is 11nm long. So cut that in half, that’s 5.5nm, you can deduce that 8nm is little bit more then half way down the ILS.

You could also use waypoints to judge distance, for example:

I know from this that ZOKAN is about 3.5nm from the runway threshold, KANKE is 3.0nm from ZOKAN and FERIN is 6.0nm from ZOKAN. I’ll be 8nm past the runway threshold once I’m 4.5nms from ZOKAN. In this example, I’m departing from runway 08.

This type of information can be found by creating a FPL like I did or by looking at the profile view of an ILS chart for that runway.

In this example I’m departing from runway 09L. Here’s the ILS approach for 27R, I put a box around the area of significance:

3 Likes

The Airpsace Ring:

Bravo are 3 rings which 3nm, 8nm, and 12nm (I think)
Charlie/Delta are 2 rings which 3nm and 6nm
Last is Echo and it has one ring and not sure which Distance is it.

So, rings can be useful.

3 Likes

ok thank you guys!

If you’re concerned about honoring straight out departures on ATIS, there’s not so much a set distance as there is a leaning on situational awareness.

Whether it’s 8 or 10 isn’t so much the issue, so long as it’s not 0.8 or 1.

Put some distance between you and the field, look around you at the adjacent upwind for traffic, deconflict with any traffic, and you should be okay.

For a rough estimate, just look at some SIDs for KLAX or KATL to see where they begin to diverge from runway heading.

1 Like

ok…but just clearing my doubt…the red landing guidance boxes begin at 10 NM distance from runway right ?

No the red boxes in the sim are much closer. Look for the red/white cone at the end of the runway on the mini-map

1 Like

ok so just to get on the safe side turn after the white ils guidance line on map ?

Yes but as always be sure to look around first and follow departure ATC instructions if given.

1 Like

ok thank you!

I can try and explain a few ways I can think of doing this, slightly harder, but should be more accurate.
In fact I’ve actually used this method when trying to simulate VOR/DME approaches in Infinite flight.
For this to work you’ll have to have a bit of knowledge of how to play around with the active legs on the map section.

So i’m going to use YBTL airport in North Queensland, Australia, I own a Navigraph Jeppesen chart subscription for other stuff, but i’ll reference it here.

Our reference fix is the TL VOR.

load a flight and go down to the bottom menu and anywhere select ‘distance to next’, this is to the next active leg.
This shows us the track miles from the active leg.
My flight plan for my example is SPARO > CS > YBCS (keep note my reference fix is not in the flight plan yet as it will cause the leg to activate). So we just took off and are not airborne, give it a bit of time so the leg doesn’t activate when we select it. Next I add the TL VOR to the flight plan using the map by pressing it and using the + NOT THE ‘D’ for DCT. The rest of the legs will terminate (THIS IS NORMAL). The leg appears magenta and if you look down where you added ‘distance to next’ in the menu down there you can see the distance to that fix! Now we needed to turn LT on assigned heading 300 at 4.0 DME from TL. Lets say we’ve done that now how do we get the flight plan back so our active leg is to SPARO? Easy, find SPARO on the map (not the legs), go over and select it; press the ‘D’ for direct, you should get a message saying if you want to keep the flight plan; push yes.

Another method you can use which was touched on earlier is using the ILS receiver, this is only useful for the following:

• The receiver is close to the reference FIX
  • The field has an ILS receiver
  • The distance reading needed is very close

Now particularly this is useful for short distances, for example when only a couple track miles is needed to be referenced. My other more complex method will terminate that leg and go onto the next leg (SPARO) if you select the TL VOR too close.
So since runway 01 in Townsville is an ILS I can tune that and it will show me the distance, this isn’t as accurate as the other method but is a lot easier.

If you’re having trouble understanding my first method; I don’t blame you! I tried to be as simple as I could so I didn’t stretch my post making it more complex. Simply let me know and I can pop some images in there for you.
Cheers!

1 Like

Ok…thank you!

1 Like

All confusions are cleared,now let’s use irl term. Though its out of this topic but I jus wanna confirm that takeoff isn’t an appropriate word to explain,most times departure is used in aviation instead of takeoff :)

Last time I checked it was “Cleared for takeoff” not “Cleared for departure”

2 Likes

Yes,for clearances tower clears for takeoff and pilot requests takeoff rather than that we use departure :)

Some request also goes as, Tower, N15X ready for departure at A1(intersection) departing east , but not often

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.