How do I check airport airspace when controlling tower?

I’ve been working tower a lot on ATC Playground and was wondering how you can check the airport airspace in the new March update since everything I’ve found has been about the older version? Thanks!

1 Like

That has since been removed. All transitions should be under 5,000 ft.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

You mean altitude of each ring? It has been removed. I think there is some temporary general rule of anything below 5000ft inside the rings is your airspace, but not 100% sure on that. You could check the real-world charts too I suppose.

1 Like

The airspace rings have been removed as they are reworking it. For know, all transitions will be 5 nautical miles and 5,000 feet. Hope this helps

1 Like

Are you asking in reference to a Class B transition over an airport in Class B airspace? All large controlled airports are in class B airspace and… the only aircraft needing a transition should be VFR aircraft. If I recall… most class B ceilings are 10k ft… I think.

The only reason a VFR Pilot should even enter class B is to actually go over the large airport. So… small single and some duel engine without pressurized cabins basically.

When ever I had to do a class B Trans over PHX (Phoenix Sky Harbor). They always assigned a squawk code (not relevant here) and typically gave me 4,500ft and most importantly… instructed me to fly over the east or west side over the runways… depending on which was active. If was always over the active end. So…if rwy 8 was active and I was transitioning from North to south… I would get a transition over west end of runway command.

Also… if you ever screwed up talking to them… too slow to talk/respond or… do anything a student pilot might do…they would VFR your butt. That meant… up to an hour flying around the class B and basically around the metro Valley😉😢…yea… sucked although…I always got to trans without issue.

No commercial jet should need to be in Class B airspace (should be above FL180) unless they are taking off or landing or… a controller has vectored them through. And… a VFR (or not commercial rated) pilot has no reason to be in that airspace unless… doing a transition over an airport.😉

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.