How do I battle High Winds?

Hello IFC,
How can I battle 30 Knot plus wind in a Narrow body or Widebody aircraft?

1 Like

Do you mean at high altitude or during take off and landing?

1 Like

Wind, And both and cruise

You can change your flight plan or ascend/descend to avoid these winds. However, sometimes it may just be inevitable.

You can also turn on the seatbelt warning to alert your passengers. ;)

5 Likes

Probably decend before the windy areas

2 Likes

I always check ForeFlight, or just google for example trans Atlantic TAF and plan accordingly. And when you say battling winds when landing do you just mean crosswinds?? Because I wouldn’t fight headwind when landing

2 Likes

Yeah, How can I land in crosswinds?

1 Like

or just power through them like the boss you are

4 Likes

I’d simply, feel the wind. Simply don’t move the nose too much and feel where are the winds heading. Use ILS Instrumentals and before touching down use the rudder to align with the runway. I find aligning with the runway the hardest in high winds. That’s only a quick point from me.

3 Likes

Check the tutorials

1 Like

There’s not much you can do at high altitudes besides using favorable altitudes (windy.com).

2 Likes

Once you reach 20 feet AGL, you move the rudder to align the plane with the runway when you touchdown. There are some great videos on YouTube about this

Also there’s a lot of help in the #tutorials, you will find a lot of lectures there

2 Likes

Yeah what they said ^ just really kick that rudder !!!

1 Like

Is it harder in different aircraft?

Yeah like don’t take an Xcub in I think more than 11kts Xwind… correct me if I’m wrong please 😋

1 Like

But your also gonna deal with gusts and you never know when that may happen so be prepared for go arounds

1 Like

I might practise on solo mode!

1 Like

Landing an x cub in 50 knot winds is probably the most fun I’ve had in IF

1 Like

But probably would be pretty tough in real life!

1 Like