How can I motivate myself to fly on Infinite Flight?

Hello everyone!

I’m back with a question for you all about regaining my motivation to fly on Infinite Flight.
I lost my motivation due to three reasons:

• I am medically disqualified from being a pilot and have focused on becoming a ramp agent.
(🔼 this one is a huge factor)
• I have recently started playing MSF2020 and due to moving to another location I Infinite Flight has become my only option for flight simulation.
• School has me being really busy.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get myself to fly more?

3 Likes

Join a virtual airline or organization

1 Like

Force yourself. It sounds weird, but trust me, it works. I took a break from IF for like 2 months, and I had to force myself to fly again. As soon as I got into the online server, it felt amazing. The flight was enjoyable and it was fun, which is the most important part. Hope you get motivation from this :D

2 Likes

If you don’t feel like flying: don’t fly. Forcing yourself will make you associate negative feelings with it. Maybe try spotting or other activities to come in contact with real planes to reignite your interest in recreating flights/flying in general!
Regarding the first point: maybe try out some other job opportunities in the industy, anything from ATC to ramp agent to being in the planning department of an airline can be just as fun. For example, I found the latter for me. I always wanted to be a pilot, but CoVid „forced“ me to try out becoming an ATC. I recently started my Air Traffic Management Uni course before starting training and I have been learning a lot about airline management. It’s a fascinating field, and maybe one you don’t immediately think of as a job to come in contact with aviation.

7 Likes

I respectfully disagree. You may think you are losing motivation, but forcing yourself to fly is a way of getting back into it. :D

I agree 100 percent with MxP - don’t force it, the desire to start Infinite Flight will come on it’s own, or it won’t.

Trying to force your head and heart into a box that you think it should be is the biggest source of resentment and burnout in the world.

Let time pass… When you truly just want to get into IF again, it’ll happen.

1 Like

Don’t force yourself, because that’s not fun, right? It really sounds like you need a brake, or otherwise something else to think about.

Somethings you can do to perhaps get hyped around planes and to perhaps feel like flying is to go find some real life ones, or maybe look up some plane spotting videos

In a way i’m in the same area as you for not being able to be a pilot, I just don’t have the mental ability right now to focus on such a thing. IF (and MSFS if i get myself a powerful enough computer to run it comfortably) may be the closest thing I get to being a real pilot

2 Likes

If you really don’t feel like flying, don’t force it. When „forcing“ yourself works, you most likely never lost motivation and just were too lazy to fly. Seeing the seriousness of some of their points, especially the inability to reach their dream job, can be a very challenging thing mentally. I have had a similar phase in my life and I was getting sick of aviation. Sometimes a step back is needed to rediscover the value in aviation, maybe also from another point of view.

Of course, everyone can have their own opinion on this.

2 Likes

I have started watching plane spotting videos at my home airport of PDX and I think at some point I might fly out of PDX because of it.

1 Like

PDX is a great place, I almost flew in/out of there back in March. Then Alaska did some schedule shifts

I’ve done a fair amount of plane spotting there, right at the end of 28R

1 Like

This is great. Planespotting helps me to appreciate the marvel that airplanes are and their might is very well shown in most planespotting vids. Hope to see you in the skies soon!

2 Likes

I’d recommend taking a break until you want to fly again. Again this is distraction so no need to be disciplined about it nor force you. It will be enjoyable once you’ll want to fly on IF again.

Trust me if you try to force yourself you will not only regret it but you will not want to fly anymore for an unexpected amount of time.

1 Like

to add on, i do want to fly on a Q400 to or from there before they’re retired, because they’re unfortunately going away next year

1 Like

The best way I always think of it is to join a VA/VO, so it gives you something to do constantly. I am still joining a ton of VAs, and it’s helping me stay flying.

I think I am currently in 16+ virtual airlines. For the activity requirement, it doesn’t have to be a super long flight. Even a nice quick 20-40 minute flight can feel refreshing to do. Takes your mind off of school work for a bit.

1 Like

I believe learning more about the topic your interests are in gives a great boost to your enthusiasm about said topic. I think learning more about real world aviation is a good way to make IF more interesting.

1 Like

Remember that flying a flight is a voluntary thing. It’s not something you have to do, but rather something you ‘want’ to do.

In terms of if you want to play it more but can’t find that motivation, I would set goals to work towards like maybe getting a better grade or joining IFATC. These things will help you to stay more motivated :) Make sure the goals are realistic and go at your pace, don’t overload.

1 Like

I have set a small goal for myself of reaching grade 3 again.

1 Like

That’s good, doing touch and goes and patterns will help with that :)

1 Like