How Boeing Builds a 737 in Just Nine Days

Be honest - how long did you think it would take? I would have guessed more like 90 days!

https://www.wired.com/video/2016/09/how-boeing-builds-a-737-in-just-nine-days

23 Likes

Really interesting thanks for sharing! I, like you, thought it would take longer. Although, given the demand for 737’s I can’t say I’m suprised.

6 Likes

I thought it would take 2 weeks

2 Likes

I watched it lots of times and I was shocked to know Boeing builds 42 737s in just a month. Boeing is giving Airbus a run for its money.

9 Likes

Airbus has more orders though, Boeing have perfected their production over long lengths of time which has really made a difference to their production time. Airbus has their output at about 46 a month and will increase a lot more over this year and next year to eventually ready 60.

4 Likes

Wow that is a really quick production of a really common aircraft!

5 Likes

I thought it would take like 6 months or something

2 Likes

All of this is honestly very surprising to learn and or know!

2 Likes

Quality over Quantity? Or Quality and Quantity? 🤔Hmmmm

There sure is enough Quantity
The Airplane Quality seems good

WELL I GUESS WE GET BOTH QUANTITY AND QUALITY!!

9 Likes

That short? I thought it would take about a week and a couple of days!

😜 JK

It is quite amazing how they build such an aircraft in such short time!

1 Like

I expected 3or4 a month. But that’s setting the bar higher. But they are experiencing engine delivery issues.

Wow. But still slower than in WWII where they built and delivered a plane in 23hrs.

1 Like

Yeah that’s because they were literally made of cloth. This is a 30 ton commercial airline with hundreds of kilometers of wiring, extremely complex hydraulic systems, incredibly complicated engines, safety precautions, etc. Not a fair comparison IMO.

btw I am not trying to “undignify” your comment. I think you are right, it is slower than WW2 warplanes, just pointing out how this is an unfair comparison :)

6 Likes

Dont the Boeing 737 factory has robots installed to speed up the making process?

1 Like

Keep in mind this is just final assembly, all of the parts take time to assemble too.

2 Likes

Amazing how far we’ve come in not only aviation terms, but manfacturing as well! Just think about how fast we might be able to make planes in the future…

Wrong world war. Planes during WWII were mostly built out of metal. US pretty much had all companies even if they had no experience in military weapons to help churn out weapons during the war so US could crank dozens of bombers everyday to meet military’s need for thousands of bombers in few years.

Right now Airbus and Boeing both has been increasing the production rate of their single aisle aircraft to meet the demand. Both has thousands on their backlog so they are cutting every corner while trying to meet the quality to ramp up production. I wouldn’t be surprised to see 100 of A320s or 737s coming out of factory every month few years later.

1 Like

I would think 2-4 weeks… Doesn’t Boeing also build the 787 in 4 weeks? I read it somewhere, please correct me if im wrong!

1 Like

Oh well. It was still on another context. A World War, even if the demand for bombers and fighters was higher, there was a bigger sense off “urgency”. And also, made it of cloth or not, they weren’t nearly as complex as a 737 or A320.

1 Like

No I think that’s the 777 but I’m not sure about the 737 as a new one takes off everyday