How Best To Inform When Performing...

Greetings,

Simply put, in its current iteration, how would one best inform Tower of a RNAV (RNP) approach within Infinite Flight, when there happens to be no Approach controller present?

Example: RNAV (RNP) Y RWY 31L - @KPSP
http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/PSP/IAP/RNAV+(RNP)+Y+RWY+31L/pdf
While it may be frowned upon, on PG, I usually counter the many “active-airspace” warnings by issuing a “stand by” until I’ve descended through my approach to a more relevant altitude, ie 6000-4000AGL.

My experience with PG controllers has been 50/50 regarding this. Sometimes, they just spam the “active-airspace” warning about 12-times-a-minute. Other times, they won’t mention a thing until I’m calling “Inbound on the ILS”, as if they suddenly recognize what procedure I’m following.

I only ignore certain communications when I’m certain it will result in even more confusion. Pertaining to (RNP) 31L, I’m usually instructed to “enter straight-in” when crossing the BALDI entry-point. Depending on my lateral AOA, obviously, the geography would argue against it.

I would appreciate any response, whether it be hostile, informed, a mere guess or the occasional “this topic already exists”. :)

1 Like

You would get ghosted on advanced. If I were you, I would pm an advanced controller or better yet, the active controller and tell him what you want to do. If he says yes then I hope you enjoy, but if he says no try again when there is less traffic

2 Likes

Just fly the approach and contact when overhead of the airport for entry instructions. I typically follow this approach when doing approach to this airport. :) I wouldn’t call inbound on the ILS because an RNAV approach is a visual approach.

3 Likes

Well if you have a “flight-plan” (which I assume you have) its easier for ATC to figure out your intentions. But I have the same experience as you, both on pg/adv server. Some hammer the “active air space button” even if you actually aren’t or throwing pattern commands with “please follow instructions” while others seems to get what you are trying to do.

When I’m an atc and someone calls inbound with a flight plan I’ll just give him a sequence number, then the player can follow his path and adjust speed to get in line, it works normally quite well.

if there is someone that gives you pattern commands I’ll just “accept” and follow my flight plan. BUT I’ll try to adjust the speed and anticipate a “slot” if there is other inbounds so I will “fall in line” behind or in between (if enough space and no takeoff queue) and report inbound/position. If I get a sequence number then I follow flight plan and adjust speed so I get in line at that number. This works most of the times.

2 Likes

I still get “say intentions” on advanced when I have a flight plan filled and just took off, so don’t expect much unles you coordinate with the controllers beforehand. Maybe the pilot-atc comms will be improved in the future to better allow things like this.

2 Likes

I’m currently flying the 737-700/800 exclusively.
I was aware that it was considered a non-precision procedure, but I didn’t realize a (RNP) was also considered a visual approach. I enjoy that particular (RNP) because it brings me in above most inbound-traffic, along with being beneath outbound-traffic. Evidently, I should be resorting to something else while operating under IMC?

My concern is for the simulator in its entirety. I happen to only run into a certified ATC about once every week. I spend 95% of my time on PG. The potential for being ghosted is my reasoning for creating this Topic. I have a perfectly clean record as a Grade 4 and I would like it to remain that way.

I can’t remember the last time I neglected to file a flight plan, but thank you for reaffirming that. I’m one of those who spawns in 15mins before they intend to depart.

Besides clarification of when certain procedures are to be used, this was more along the lines of what I was looking for. I just need to be guilted into participating on Advanced more often.

You get a like, you get a like, this whole apartment gets a like. :)
Any further input would be much appreciated.

2 Likes

Yes an RNAV approach is used for IFR/IMC conditions but only to a certain extent. It’s not a precision approach like an ILS. So you have to have some sort of visual at a way point along the plate. I’m sure @Mark_Denton could shed some light.

Don’t worry about being ghosted for using a plate though. You may not fly the entire thing, and need to comply with instructions but you shouldn’t worry about that.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.