How and the correct ways to Contact Tower in the absence of approach

Thanks for this @Hari! Nice job!

1 Like

Let’s be honest, most of the people who fly in Expert server other than ATC members and some Pilots won’t read the manual or the user guide simply because it’s “too Long” so having short reminders like these are great and it brings out the important parts that will make the ATC’s job easier.

6 Likes

I’m usually not the one to say this, but seriously if there’s something “wrong” just pm them or let the mods take care of it. The mods are here to enforce stuff. No need to make it public and embarrass someone for something you think is a mistake. Pms are a beautiful thing or just simply waiting for a mod to come around and make a decision. I’m out. ✌🏻

5 Likes

Okay, we’re beating a dead horse here. We’ve brought it up and now let’s please focus at the points brought up in the OP’s topic.

8 Likes

At the end of the day though this isn’t a topic to criticise @Thunderbolt opinions. It’s a thread to remind the IFC of how to correctly use ATC in the absence of approach so as to reduce stress on the Tower controller. @Hari well done

2 Likes

Love it @Hari keep it up!

1 Like

smh… Hari took his time to write this entire topic. Please don’t discredit and be rude to a fellow IFATC member. Let’s all be nice here… Thanks :)

7 Likes

You might be right… or maybe not. Either way, one thing has to do with respect and the other one about criticize the topic and its content.

1 Like

Anyways great work @Hari . This is a good tool for anyone that may still be confused.

2 Likes

How’re you gonna get them on the community? If they read the user guide or ATC Manual or watched the tutorials they’d know about the community wouldn’t they?

3 Likes

Urgh, notifications are blowing up again, might as well grab a snack and stay up for a bit.

I applaud your efforts, @Hari. Great topic, just unsure of the effectiveness of these sort of topics. I’m struggling to find a way to get this message all across the board, though. As a writer myself, it’s a never-ending puzzle trying to find the perfect way to get the message across. And, that’s still something I’m working on. We’re all tired of the chaos. I’m tired of it. You’re tired of it (if you weren’t, this topic wouldn’t exist). The guy in 22B is tired of it.

I’m sorry if I came across harsh. But, we’re all sick of it. And I think every single person that has replied can agree with that.

2 Likes

I love this 😂😂

2 Likes

Let’s not attack @Thunderbolt, he had his opinion and he expressed it. I don’t see a reason to attack him or his opinion. Let’s get on with the main point of this thread.

7 Likes

I’m a forum zombie, you probably know that by now 😜

2 Likes

Amazing Job Hari! 👏

2 Likes

Fantastic topic @Hari! Keep up the great work, you made some good points :)

1 Like

Everyone:

This topic was created with the support of an IFATC Supervisor. The only reason to close this for now would be the constant off-topic discussions. And that wouldn’t be fair to the OP. There’s no need to continue the discussions whether this topic is effective or not.

Thank you.

30 Likes

This topic serves as a great reminder for pilots. Awesome job @Hari

1 Like

Anyways, now that I have my saltine crackers and a glass of refreshing H2O, I want to start some healthy discussion, in particular, this point right here.

A technique that is commonly used is to go from inside to outside. What does this mean? Aircraft closer to the airport get priority, then once they are taken care, we move outwards. This is why your initial call in may be slightly delayed, if that makes sense.

2 Likes

Dang, everyone disappeared with a tap of Marc’s enter button, as it seems. Well, that’s certainly unfortunate. Was hoping to get some late night discussion going, but I guess I’ll just log off and read a book.

I want to bring up one last point for the discussion that can be talked about, built open, and then continued on into the morning (so we don’t get off-topic again and the lock symbol doesn’t appear by the topic name when I log on tomorrow).

When the approach controller goes offline, it’s a party! Go to the cone, get all close to each other (because that’s the foundation of spacing, right?), have a dance or two, do the hokey pokey, share some fries.

No.

Maintain etiquette, just because someone else is doing it, don’t follow him. Extend downwind, make 360s p, do whatever you need to do to be a respectful pilot.

I want to bring up an example from last week actually, when I had hosted @Drummer’s birthday group flight into New Orleans. With a line 30-40 aircraft deep and two approach controllers going offline, it was @Sashaz55 fighting for survival. With that in mind, I had already planned a diversion to Baton Rouge in the case that the traffic become overwhelming for Sasha, I could not land, or other pilots would get in the way. With that being said, I did land safely, with a delay of 20 minutes. Why the delay? Because I had extended my downwind by 30 miles and set an example. Those pilots that went to the cone straightaway suffered the consequences, with go-arounds, 360s, etc.

Moral of the story: Be a leader. Be the one that flies professionally, even though others may not. Lead by example.

And for real this time @AlphaKilo, good night.

1 Like