How a 787 got stuck in the mud

British Airways, good name, bad service. The airline is approaching its 50th anniversary and over that time it has flown over 215km, a truly amazing achievement. The airline has also had its a fair share of accidents like the time pretended to offer a decent inflight service or flying to Texas while a more recent accident was the time that one of their planes decided to play stuck in the mud in Edmonton, let me explain.

Now, in all due credit, this wasn’t actually their fault, in fact, it wasn’t my fault or your fault or even Misha’s fault but it was Edmonton’s ground crews fault. The 787 was returning to Heathrow after a cargo flight when the cunkuk tug operator went “ay” and then realised he (or she) made a kerfuffle and took the airliner’s wheels off-road and into a pile of dirt after they misjudged the length of the taxiway. Unfortunately, this meant that a fun game became somewhat serious and after multiple attempts of getting it out with maple syrup (joke) they turned to shovels.

After a while it seems they actually somehow got it out, I would like to think they tried the maple syrup again and until further evidence is presented to me I am believing that theory. Weirdly enough it isn’t the only drama BA has had with taxiways this year, one of their A380’s had an altercation with one in April , which seems strange considering they’ve had more incidents with taxiways then satisfied customers this year. How would you get your multi-million dollar machine out of the dirt?

EZrAQCaWkAAKNWR
Giant wheels are no match for dirt image credit

25 Likes

Well at least the mud didnt get to the engines

4 Likes

They should have installed big offroad wheels with low tire pressure…

3 Likes

Just winch it out

4 Likes

BA are having some bad luck recently with their jets.

3 Likes

We tow it using other 787s lol

1 Like

Rodger, let’s become a tag team. I’ll get the winch and you pay for my flight to Canada

1 Like

I think they put really strong inflatable bags underneath the wheel and then slowly put air into them and then when it’s level the tug brings it forward

You push, I pull with the rope.

1 Like

That’s how they’ve done it in the past

We have a deal, we’d be so efficient

1 Like

It didn’t get delayed much so I assume they just full thrusted it out of there then took to the skies.

2 Likes

We might need an IL-76 to fish it out of here

2 Likes

Or any plane with lots of thrust

1 Like

Someone get a rope!

1 Like

I swear every month something is happening with BA?

1 Like

She wanted to tilt her gears again :(

1 Like

Is it just me or is this funny? Haha!

1 Like

Hmm, I’m surprised this happened. Really interesting read. Thanks for posting!

I live in Edmonton, Alberta haha. The B787 isn’t a common visitor, afterall it’s cool having this heavies come. Last week we had 3 Antonovs come within 24hrs. Its amazing seeing CYEG expanding as a airport.