Hot Brakes

Today, I was doing a flight from CAN-LAX. As I pushed back and was getting the engines running, I was doing a spoiler test. At some point, I must have accidentally clicked the Autopilot. So, upon takeoff, I reached my rotation speed, but the plane never went up. I abort takeoff using brake the whole way so I didn’t go off the runway. I then tried to takeoff again, the same thing and another aborted takeoff. That is went I found out about the AP being on. But, besides the fact, after both aborted takeoffs, I let the plane be for 2 minutes for “hot brakes” for realism. But, what if it was actually a thing.

As we all SHOULD know, you’re not just supposed to land with brakes on as hot brakes will occur (unless with a Cessna 172 or others in that ballpark). So for realism, I was thinking what if you needed to abort takeoff or use more brakes than allowed during landing, we have an alert or an object at the bottom were yoke and stuff is to show to brake heat.

Alerts can be:

1. Hot brake warning
  2. Hot breaks are occurring
  3. Brakes overheated (please wait 3-4 minutes or whatever time is needed)*

*This could be scaled down from the hour needed just to be realistic. For example 1 hour realisticly=10 minutes IF

Why would this help?
Realism is key for infinite flight! This is what staff usually want to see, mainly in expert.

Other things that must be incorporated

1. ATC command/announcement
  2. An option in settings for casual server/training (Must be on in expert to realism)

So, is there anything that you guys would want to see or think would be better for this to happen? Please tell me and vote if interested!

Going slightly off topic here but this issue has happened to me before. While on the ground frequently check your flight controls and LOOK AT YOUR YOKE as if you notice it being rather stiff it isn’t going to respond. The fix to this is simple, simply engage and disengage your AP and you’re good to go!

I just want to point out one thing.
You shouldn’t abort takeoff if your past V1…

2 Likes

This is actually a great idea!! You have my vote for sure!

1 Like

I know that, but it seemed like the wheel was stuck in the ground so yeah…
Really wasn’t thinking about that at the time :(

1 Like

If you really wanted to be realistic You would be waiting for probably over an hour.

Umm do we because planes do use their brakes after touchdown sooooo… you might wanna rethink that comment.

1 Like

I really like this idea. When I have a free vote I might vote for this.

1 Like

One other thing is that brakes are either off or on (full or none). There’s no pressure control on how much brake is applied.

If there was a change in brakes would be a way to control how much pressure to apply like double taps or slide (like trim button). Though it’s difficult enough in in a cross wind to take thumb off of rudder to apply brakes lol

Whether through ARPR for auto braking or if by tapping the brake button on before a manual landing; a change needs be made so the brakes are not full pressure when you initially touchdown and slamming the nose gear down.

1 Like

yea I was about to say it will take over an hour if you want to “properly” cool down the brakes.

and if you re read the comment he said you shouldn’t land with the brakes already on…

just so we are on the same page, I agree with this topic but this might be a bit unnecessary considering people who fly in IF dont want to sit on the ground for an hour, plus there is really no good way to simulate the breaks being hot on every single aircraft

This is the 777 rejected takeoff test, as you can see it would take well over an hour for the brakes to be okay for takeoff again.

hqdefault

I have changed, it could be a scaled down version

This would be a cool add-on along with tire smoke!

That’s going to require a lot more than just waiting for them to cool down. If the brakes get that hot the fuse plugs on the tires are going to blow.

Yea that’s really true you would need an fire truck 🚒!

If you have a flight control failure (elevator) you have no choice but to abort passed V1 and accept going off the end. I mean, are you really going to leave takeoff power in and go off at 150kts vs maybe 20-30kts? Which one is going to be more survivable?

You would have to add the exploding tires too like in the A380 Aborted Takeoff Test