Hong Kong to London - the Long Way

On 9 November 2005, a Pakistan International Airlines Boeing 777-200LR completed the world’s longest non-stop passenger flight. The aircraft, at the time being a Boeing Test Aircraft, traveled 21,602 kilometres (11,664 nmi) eastward from Hong Kong to London (Heathrow) in roughly 22 hours, 22 minutes as opposed to a normal westward routing for that sector, which is much shorter at 9,647 kilometres (5,209 nmi) and usually takes 12 hours and 45 minutes. Aboard the 777-200LR were eight pilots, including Suzanna Darcy-Henneman, Boeing’s first female test pilot. Although the airplane seats 301, there were only 27 passengers aboard this flight.

After doing some research I’ve stumbled upon an article written by the user jetlife2 on Airliners.net. The user was one of the 27 passengers aboard this flight. He describes his voyage across the world in this article. It’s a really good read, and shouldn’t take you more than 20 minutes to read. Highly recommend you check it out.

The aircraft used to beat the world record: (Credits bottom right of photo)

This is probably how the aircraft would have looked like in testing: (Credits bottom right of photo)

Although this flight may the in the book of records, it still “technically” isnt’ the longest. In fact, it’s nearly 63 days shorter! Check out this video (created by the same guys from Wendover Productions) which tells the tale of a Cessna 172 making a record breaking 63 day flight.

hint Maybe some BETA Testers may want to try out this flight and see if they can reproduce it? hint

13 Likes

Yes. This route is on my list-to-do in Global :)

1 Like

I might recreate this. I’m circumnavigating the Earth in a C172 on this game anyways

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this it was a really interesting read! The only think I’ve noticed in the article is the plane didn’t belong to PIA at the time, it was yet to be delivered!

Fantastic read though thank you

1 Like

We need that livery!! It’s beautiful

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.