Holiday Spotting! | CHC, 1/10/20

Hey IFC!

As my fellow New Zealanders will know, school holidays are in full swing, which gives me the opportunity to spend all day at the airport without having to worry about exams, essays, and assignments. I had been planning my trip to Christchurch for a couple of weeks, and when the day came, I couldn’t wait! I was surprised to see quite a lot of variation at the airport, which was a change to the usual Air New Zealand A320s, ATRs, and Q300s. Hope you guys enjoy the shots!

📍Christchurch Int’l Airport, CHC, NZCH
⏰ 8:30am - 6:30pm
📸 Canon EOS 500D with 70-300mm lens
🗓 October 1, 2020

Flight Information

Aircraft: Airbus A320-232
Airline: Air New Zealand
Route: NZCH - NZWN
Flight Number: NZ642
Flight Time: 0:31
General Information: My first shots of the day, pretty happy with the engine light

Flight Information

Aircraft: Airbus A320-232
Airline: Jetstar Airways
Route: NZCH - NZWN
Flight Number: JQ286
Flight Time: 0:33
General Information: Jetstar has returned to New Zealand! The low-cost carrier is now the only airline that is competing against Air New Zealand, and I’m happy they are back because I love their livery 😍

Flight Information

Aircraft: Airbus A320-271N
Route: NZAA - NZCH
Flight Number: NZ527
Flight Time: 1:11
General Information: My first time spotting an A320 Neo! Love the PW1000Gs on these beauties, looks so much better than the regular A320s

Flight Information

Aircraft: Boeing C-17A Globemaster III
Airline: USAF
Route: N/A
Flight Number: N/A
Flight Time: N/A
General Information: My first time seeing a C17! This beauty was sitting on the military apron, waiting for its next flight which is most likely to McMurdo Station in Antarctica. The USAF send their C17s here so they can send officials down to the ice continent. I was a little sad to not see it in the air.

Flight Information

Aircraft: Boeing 777-31H(ER)
Airline: Emirates
Route: YSSY - NZCH
Flight Number: EK2666
Flight Time: 2:30
General Information: The main attraction of the day! Emirates operates this cargo only weekly service, in order to keep our exports running smoothly. Agricultural and Horticultural cargo is the main focus, some foods may already be in your supermarkets!

Flight Information

Aircraft: Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
Flight Number: NZ551
Flight Time: 1:06
General Information: A nice equipment change from the usual A320 service, but I’m not complaining at all! Imagine if we had this stunner in IF! Cough Cough Air New Zealand Boeing 787-9 | All Blacks Livery Cough

Flight Information

Aircraft: Boeing 777-31H(ER)
Airline: Emirates
Route: NZCH - YSSY
Flight Number: EK2667
Flight Time: 2:49
General Information: Finally I got a shot with some nice engine light! I was kinda sad because it did not use a full runway takeoff, and when it lined up there was a massive pole to the left of it, so I had to crop it out, hence why the quality is not quite as good as it could be. Can’t wait for 20.2 so I can fly this route!

Flight Information

Aircraft: Boeing 767-381F(ER)
Airline: Qantas Freight
Flight Number: QF7523
Flight Time: 1:06
General Information: Qantas Freight’s only 767 operating the daily milk run between Hong Kong, Darwin, Sydney, Auckland and Christchurch

Flight Information

Aircraft: Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
Route: NZCH - NZAA
Flight Number: NZ562
Flight Time: 1:02
General Information: My favorite shot of the day, with my favorite aircraft in the ANZ fleet.

Flight Information

Aircraft: Boeing 767-381F(ER)
Airline: Qantas Freight
Route: NZCH - YSSY
Flight Number: QF7530
Flight Time: 2:55
General Information: The final shot of the day, not my best due to the sun going behind a cloud, but decent none the less. Moments after this shot was taken I found out I had left my car lights on and I had a flat battery 😥 big oofs

Hope you guys enjoyed them! I counted up all of my photos and in total I took over 650 over the whole day, going through 2 cards and 2 camera batteries. I have heeeeeeaaaaaapppppps of ATR and Q400 shots, let me know if you want me to make another spotting thread with just props. If you would like to use a picture, just ask and I will happily let you :). Stay safe everyone.

My previous spotting topics

Special Cargo Flights! 767, 777, A321NEO | CHC, 16/7/20
Post Lockdown Spotting! | CHC, 21/9/20
Christchurch spotting!
The singular flight

30 Likes

I love the photos, and secondly, I live right next to A USAF Base so the C-17’s fly over my house at about 4500 to 5000 feet daily.

1 Like

Sick photos like seeing the difference between the NEO and the regular A320 C:

1 Like

Omg ATR is bae yes plz

1 Like

CHC is on the spotting bucket list just for that line-up spot.

If you want, can you email me the raw file of the ANZ 787 lineup so I can edit it for Instagram? I’ll tag you, give credit, all that jazz.

1 Like

@bbrockairbus wow that must be cool, the sound must be awesome!

@USA_ATC I agree, the Neo is so much cooler!

@Ryan_Gibb I’ll take that as a yes then lol

@AndrewWu for sure, I’m off to work now, I’ll send u it later :)

3 Likes

Wow, those pictures are sweeet! Wish I could be in New Zealand right now…

1 Like

Thanks mate! I agree, NZ is the place to be ;)

@Aero The sound is amazing, If I can catch one on camera I will PM you the video.

1 Like

Here is @AndrewWu’s awesome edit of NZE!

It will be up on both mine (@tiu_aviation) and Andrews Instagrams soon (@atis.alpha)

1 Like

Hehe I was at NZCH the day before you posted these flying from NZWN-NZCH on the route that continues to NZQN sad to see how little the air traffic is these days at our Local airport

1 Like

Oh that’s cool, I actually posted these the day after I went so I might’ve got some shots of you, what was your flight number?

1 Like

That Emirates 777 head on… good lord

1 Like

Cheers mate :)

NZ651 NZWN-NZCH then Carry’s onto NZQN

1 Like