Himalayan Mountain Tour - Airbus A319-115

Hi and welcome back to another episode of my flights in IF! This is a collection of photos of my flight on the Airbus A319-115 from Kathmandu to Paro. In real life, the route is either operated by DrukAir or Bhutan Airlines, with an A319 or A320neo. However, since there is no Bhutan Airlines livery and callsign in IF, I opted for a generic A319-115 and a call sign of A5-RIM, a real Bhutan A319 registration. Featured are the Himalayan views on the way at 29000ft and the spectacular but difficult approach to Paro’s Runway 33. Enjoy!

Details:
Server: Training
Time: 0h 59min
Route: VNKT-VQPR

At the small terminal in Nepal. It’s good to see a sunny day in this normally foggy city!

Backtracking and lining up on Runway 20.

V1… Rotate…

V2. Positive Rate. Gear Up.

The sky’s the limit… Not the mountains. A nice view of the A319 engine too.

Nothing’s more perfect than an A319 at 29000ft and the snowy Himalayas… Though it won’t be the same story if the plane was at 2900.

Descending dangerously close to the peaks. I don’t know how the pilots in Bhutan manage this every day.

Final turn… Beautiful but difficult. It’s a captain’s landing.

A great landing on Runway 33. Didn’t even need the entire 1600m runway to stop… That’s performance.

Welcome to Bhutan!

I hope you liked it! Thanks for reading!

15 Likes

Awesome photos! Love flying around in that area

1 Like

That approach looks pretty scary.

1 Like

Man I love the approach to Paro, and it looks like you did pulled it off!

Great photos!

1 Like

Of course! You couldn’t go too high, since go arounds are as difficult as the landing, going too low will cause a crash, and going too fast will make the sharp turn impossible. There is absolutely no room for error. Plus, it is easy to misjudge the approach. As a result, the whole procedure has to be precise and landing calculations must be accurate. No excessive floating too, or you might overshoot the 1600m runway since there is a huge displaced threshold at the 33 end. Landing from 15 is even worse since the winds favor a landing from the southern end. Though the A319 is super versatile, and it flies to even shorter runways. But that’s not an excuse for overshooting the touchdown zone. I recommend an approach speed of 126-132 knots. There was a quartering headwind today, so I used 131. Normally 128 is pretty much enough.

So yeah, I’m glad that I succeeded. On the River Visual and the Calvi 36 circling, I had to practice on solo for many times before nailing it on live.
Seems like that preparation for difficult approaches got me good at this, since I wasn’t very scared this time.

Damn, you was ready for this whole approach like you were waiting your whole life- You had all the procedures and stuff. You’re young as well, which I find amazing to how much you planned for it.

1 Like