Higher headwind, higher groundspeed.

I’m flying from KLAX to KSEA right now and as you’ll see in the picture below, I as my tailwind turned into more of a headwind, my groundspeed increased. Help would be appreciated. IMG_20171014_195457

Tailwind sort of ‘pushes’ your aircraft forward, this reduces fuel consumption and increases your ground speed.

Headwind also ‘pushes’ your aircraft, but backward, this increases your fuel consumption and decreases your groundspeed.

This is why flying to the East is shorter than flying to the West, very strong currents in the Northern Hemisphere move to the East.

Look at this website to look at currents and jet streams, its handy! www.windy.com

2 Likes

Do you have your speed set at Mach .90? Also you may be in the middle of a change in wind direction in winds aloft. That picture of your current heading and the wind direction looks more like a crosswind too.

1 Like

Nope winds were heading the same way with a variation of maybe 2 degrees.

Was heading only 488knts groundspeed when it was a direct tailwind.

The stronger the headwind equals lower groundspeed, not higher. The lower the headwind, the higher the groundspeed is.

The higher the tailwind is, the higher your ground speed will be. The lower the tailwind, the lower your groundspeed will be

1 Like

That’s why I’m confused. What’s going on is the opposite.

Well, your picture isn’t really showing us anything… Not quite sure what you want us to do.

4 Likes

Your picture shows more of a crosswind turning into a tailwind as you turn. The tailwind component is more than the crosswind component which results in a higher groundspeed.

2 Likes

It was turning from tailwind to crosswind though.

didnt you know every airliner cruises at Mach .90 lol

4 Likes

That isn’t what your picture is showing unless you came from the north. Then did a 180.

Yes but the tailwind component is still higher than the crosswind component therefor keeping your groundspeed high

1 Like

The Concorde is in the graveyard though 🤔

4 Likes

I vote we close this, and chalk it up pilot error due to miss reading the instruments.

3 Likes

But, when the tailwind component was even higher, the groundspeed was lower.

That’s impossible…

1 Like

Im pretty sure you are reading your instruments wrong.

3 Likes

Pretty sure like 💯 positive

1 Like