High winds

Share your high wind experiences here.
I flew today to IVL from HEL and at IVL there was 35 kn gusts.
A few hours ago there was 40 kn gusts and ceilings at 500 feet.
Its very windy here right now. 👍🏼

I was in some sort of crj with a lot of turbulence and wind shear on final into Newark. Pretty scary.

1 Like

Copa Airlines flight 478 from PTY to MCO. The boeing 737-800 was descending and the plane went into a storm that it was forming in the area (the pilots didn’t have other choice?) there was a lot of turbulence and the plane was dropping altitude suddenly, it was 20 minutes of nightmare and all the passengers where very scared…thank goodness the plane exited the storm clouds, but there approach to the runway was a little bumpy, there were crosswinds, and the plane bounced in the landing, and it slipped sometimes, but the landed safely the 737.

3 Likes

Turkish 1, on final at Istanbul. Heavy crosswinds on our A330-300.

I landed a DA42 in Cannes as a SIC in quite tough conditions three weeks ago. The METAR showed 25G35KT, it was a crosswind. We made a left traffic for runway 17 with an approach speed of 87 knots. After a very turbulent approach, we landed firmly but safely.

It was probably one of the most difficult approach I’ve made so far.

3 Likes

80 to ~100 knots. Superstorm Sandy 😔 Misread topic, sorry. 30-40 knots crosswind departure LGA-MIA (my first airsickness
at 3yo)

3 Likes

35 knot crosswind at KPUB in a DA-20 (a glider with an engine) my instructor took over and used about 7000 of an 8000 ft runway to bring it down. Pretty impressive.

2 Likes

8000ft of runway to land a plane that can stop in 800ft is a bit excessive eh?

4 Likes

Excessive if you aren’t battling 35 knot crosswinds…

2 Likes

I don’t know what happened in the cockpit, but from my own experience, the DA-20 is very easy to land. It doesn’t float very much as long as you land with the correct speed and appropriate flaps. A 35 knot crosswind may be a bit excessive as well but every pilot has different limits. In crosswind conditions, a firm landing is a good option, don’t look for a super smooth landing, make sure the power is on idle and you shouldn’t float too much. If you float, just hold the nose-attitude and the plane will almost land by itself.

I doubt you have 2,000+ hours in the DA-20 and 20 years and over 2,000hours flying the USMC Harrier, so I’m going to choose to believe that it was still an impressive landing.

3 Likes

44-46knots EGBB

I don’t have much experience on the DA20, I was just giving you an advice which wasn’t related to your flight. Just an advice. I don’t pretend to be an instructor or a FI. In aviation, you learn from the experience of others, I was only sharing my own experience here.

As I’ve already said, I wasn’t in cockpit. I’m not judging this landing nor your instructor.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.