High Elevation Airports

2NC0 is another interesting one. Near Asheville Regional

1 Like

Quito, Ecuador (SEQM). Its elevation is 7910 ft.

1 Like

Any airport in central Mexico, MMMX for example, airports in Bolivia, Colombia SKBO

1 Like

MROC (San Jose, Costa Rica) is pretty high too. Like 4000 FT

1 Like

SPZO cusco! The approach to 28 is super fun

1 Like

ZUDC is at 14,400ft.

2 Likes

Bradshaw AAF on the big island, Mammoth Lake California and Samaden Airport Switzerland are high airports that are currently available and fun to fly in without pro sub

2 Likes

Leadville, CO is a fun one. It sits around 11,000 feet if I recall correctly

2 Likes

Qamdo Bamda is another one in Tibet, has a extremely long runway and scheduled flights to Chengdu and Beijing.

1 Like

I have flown into Eagle Colorado, in a B757 which is the biggest that fits there, and the airport is 6,546 ft high.

1 Like

VILH is a nice one. Follow the instructions here to land and take off from there:

3 Likes

Daocheng Yading is extremely fun to fly into. Sits at around 14000 feet so it is the highest elevation commercial airport in the world.

1 Like

How high is a high elevation airport?🧐 3000ft MSL, 5000ft MSL, what is considered high altitude?

Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta is high aswell

Thank you Captain! This is most helpful, I like hand flying to touch down although my landing are not all smooth. Keep flying

1 Like

Mexico City (MMMX)!

1 Like

Silver West Airport, CO8, in south central Colorado. Pattern altitude 9000 feet. Airport elevation 8290 feet.

“Mysteriously” at the bottom boundary of the IF non-pro Colorado region - a person close to me had been a decorated glider instructor and jet engine engineer living there for that field. He refurbished an airline pilot’s tow plane engine at that field to give it a slight bit better safety margin.

I not infrequently see what I can get away with landing there. Puts Denver and Mexico City to shame somewhat.

1 Like

KDEN or Denver intl. has the longest runways in the US?

Interesting question.

Apparently Denver does have the longest runway in the us at 16,000 ft. LAX for the sea level comparison has a runway with length 12,091 ft.

Longest in the world is in China with 16,404 ft for an airport at an altitude of 12,408 ft (forget about 250knts speed limit).

The Silverwest Colorado airport I referred to has a length of 6954ft (altitude 8290 ft).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.