High altitude departures

Ive always had trouble with high altitude departures as they confuse me. For instance, If an airport is up on an altitude of 7 thousand feet MSL, and i reach 10k MSL, am I aloud to speed up passed 250? Should I turn landing lights off? Because technically i’m only at 3k feet AGL.

A little help on this would be appreciated!

1 Like

Well it’s above 10,000 feet so yes. I always have done that and never an issue.

1 Like

I dont know why but that seems so weird to me

It does at first but you will get used to it.

1 Like

Does that mean somewhere like vnlk that’s above 10k you don’t need your landing lights on when you’re taking off or landing?

1 Like

Im talking about something more like KDEN, below 10 k feet. But i didnt know that hahahah

Howdy!

To my knowledge, the 250kts speed limit is in MSL. So that means that if you take off from an airport above 10000’, the speed limit wouldn’t apply to you unless you went below 10000’ MSL.

As for landing lights, those are required until 10000’
AGL rather than MSL. If you take off from any airport, you shouldn’t turn them off until you’re above that 10000’ AGL marker.

9 Likes

Regarding speed: That depends on the local rules. For example at Malaga (LEMG) (I know the airport itself isn’t elevated but the surrounding terrain is) the speed 250kt or less restriction is valid till FL120.

1 Like

Keep the landing lights on until 10,000 agl but feel free to go as fast as you want over 10,000 msl. Do keep in mind ATC airspace is in AGL so make sure you are out of that if you are going above the sound barrier.

3 Likes

You should speed past 250. The regulation determining 250KIAS is dependent on 10,000MSL. Because of changes in air pressure at FL100 you would have to speed up beyond 250 regularly to maintain clean flight configuration for heavily loaded aircraft.

1 Like

Can’t emphasize this enough!

Bring MMMX into our example, people like to fly 300+ kts at 11,000 feet, which is only about 4,000 AGL. Trying to maintain spacing, have a proper base turn, and proper intercept doesn’t work at that kind of speed.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.