Help with the glide slope.

Hey guys. I really need help on making the glideslope hit the middle. But it’s so complicated and I’m tired of using the appr feature. Please help me. And give me some more tips.

1 Like

Well first tell us what speed you are approaching at. If you look at the RNAV charts you will find the descent rate you should be at for a given speed you are travelling at. If you need help with that DM me and I can give you some examples.

5 Likes

Yeah like this. image

3 Likes

Planning ahead is your best option. There are some general rules of thumb you can use that have been said all over the forum but for more realistic approaches I like to google the chart of where I am landing.

For example, here is one of DFW’s runways.

As you can see, if you add up the numbers at the bottom around 17 (16.8) NM out I should be at 6000 feet. Since the ILS is a straight angle, this means that the indicator should be above your current altitude. As you get closer it will move to the center. Once it is in the center, you can begin you descent following the ILS down. I think (don’t quote me on it) that most average around -700 VS until you get closer. It depends on the ILS actually.

I guess the biggest takeaway is that you want to be below the glide slope when you intercept it.

I am not a pilot in real life, I may be totally off base but thats what has worked best for me in the sim so neener neener.

9 Likes

Suppose you made your flight plan correctly, then recommend when you get 5,000ft turn off the NAV and go using the hdg (if you have ATC is easier because he’s already you of the degrees have you have to use in hdg) but if you have not recommend using the hdg until you reach the 1,500 ft and 5 nautical miles from the airport and so you will lining up, always do it almost never the wrong !!! Recommend you use cards air because facilitates quite your flights !!

1 Like

I’m kind of new to the game so right now I’m completely lost

I approach at 180 then slowly go down to 160 or 150. This is so professional and I’m lost… Maybe break it down?

There are a number of tutorials in the #tutorials section to help with various aspects of flight.

the glide slope is 3° in standard some exceptions apply. you can always find your vertical speed by taking your ground speed in knots and multiply it by 5.31 that is your vertical speed for descent in ft/mn to maintain your glide slope. :)

also at about 1000ft agl. you will be able to see the runway. unless very bad visibility. aim for the 2 solid dashed line on the runway. go visual from there.

I’ve already read that. Thanks. But th at topic about the glideslope didn’t really help.

What is agl ? I know that there’s another unit but I forgot it

above ground level. it is different from msl that is shown in altitude meter in hud. if the ground underneath you is a terrain at 1000ft. and you are at 2000 ft msl. your agl is 1000ft.

Judging from some of your questions, I think spending time reading the pilot tutorial may help as most of what you are asking is covered.

3 Likes

Ok as some simple guidelines to help you get started, once you have nailed the basics then you can learn to refine it as you gain more experience.

First of all I would start with a mid size jet like a B737-700 and in settings keep landing aid ON.

First of all start off on SOLO mode when you are on a short final. This will put you in the correct starting place at about the right speed, configuration for landing ( flaps down, spoilers armed, gear down).

As soon as you spawn hit the SP button on your autopilot so that you stay at the starting speed. You should be at about 3000ft AGL (above ground level) inbound to landing, now hand fly down the red boxes towards the runway. Nite that your VS speed should be about -700.

When you get the call out for ‘1000’ then disconnect the autopilot and you will have to control the throttle as well. Aim to keep speed about 135-150 kts ( yes a little fast but ok at this stage).

Just before you land, raise the nose and the cut the throttle, you should gently float down and land!

Now do that 10 times in solo, ( at least) to get the hang of it before heading on line to a deserted airport where you can do extended circuits to build up your skills.

Good luck!

2 Likes

What really worked for me in the beginning is trying to approach as “flat” as I can so I didn’t have to worry about my vertical angle. Then I could focus on aligning myself with the runway horizontally.

When I was close enough to see the runway my focus was to keep the little circle (I don’t know its name) on the runway. The circle tells you where you are really heading - that’s different from your nose direction because of winds. I made small corrections using the autopilot, adjusting the HDG. Not very professional but it did the job and now after a lot of practice I can land 100% manually while aligned with both the glideslope and the localizer.

Make sure you watch all tutorials here, but especially those related to ILS approach.

After you’re good with theory, practice is key. Keep flying and in 50-60 landing from now you should be able to master this stuff.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

P.S.
Pick a plane and stick to it until you’re experienced enough. Physics differs, so choose the one you know best - it allows you to focus on the landing itself.

1 Like

How long did it take for you to get better?

How long did it take you to master it?

It took me a long time to get it right. Lots of practice. Like most things in aviation, it doesn’t come easy.

To add onto what @royfr83 said, go find an airport, take off, and set autopilot to hold you at 2,000 feet above the airport altitude (roughly – if your airport is 2,645 feet, you can fly at 4,600 and be ok) and a constant airspeed, maybe 180 knots. Without worrying about your pitch or speed, just like up with the localizer (left/right indicator, in the bottom center) until you’re comfortable with that. Then, fly a long approach, and line up on the localizer. While you’re underneath the glideslope, set your AP heading to stay (roughly) on the localizer. Take off your altitude part of the autopilot. Practice descending on the glideslope until you’re comfortable. Then, put both parts together.

It might take a couple days, but I promise you’ll see improvement. I’m a G4 pilot, IFAE, ATC, 800+ hours. I still use autothrottle on many approaches, and in some cases I’ll use heading and altitude controls. Managing your pitch, heading, and speed all at the same time isn’t easy, but give it some work and you’ll be a pro in no time. Feel free to PM with any questions, and happy landings!

@Cifs don’t give up! You surely can and will master this.

My recommendation for you would be, after watching and reading the tutorials, to…just practice. As mentioned, this is the whole trick: practice, fail, repeat, get better. Start with an easy aircraft, such as the C208 or the Citation. Then slowly move to small airliners.

Keep a good eye on your vertical and horizontal instruments, and avoid over-corrections. Forget the APPR function. If you wanna learn this, it’s better to crash then to ‘cheat’.

I have done about 2000 landings in X-plane, and another 5000 landings in IF, and I still sometimes get them so wrong, that I need to execute a go around to avoid a crash.

Practice makes almost perfect 😀

2 Likes