Help with landing

Hey, Im having trouble landing ive watched hours of tutorials, spent hours practicing, and yet i still am way off the centerline, have hard landings, and I find it hard to land with my nose up slightly like your supposed to.

-Sorry for the run-on sentence :)

1 Like

Do you use the HUD?

1 Like

Hey, what I did is I had like a graduating step process.

First, I let APPR autoland and all I did was apply reverse thrust

Once I was comfortable with that I moved to APPR and now controlling my speed on final

Next, I turned off APPR on short final

After that, keep turning it off further until you have the hang of it.

Doing pattern work a lot helps out also. It gets you used to how the aircraft functions and what will and won’t work

2 Likes

Yes of courses

What’s a good vertical speed at 1000ft approaching?

Also I’ve had trouble using appr do you have any resources to help me??

I believe a smooth landing is anything above -600VS

1 Like

What has been happening with APPR? Maybe I can help

1 Like

Then again make sure you are on the correct glideslope for landing… to have an acceptable vs for approach.

1 Like

How do you enable it on a a320, because when I do a approach in solo I can’t enable it even when I have a vs set.

I find the glide-scope hard to see

You can always use the PAPI lights as reference https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiJkKbLqYrqAhVFXK0KHXyXCO0QFjASegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FPrecision_approach_path_indicator&usg=AOvVaw1tUxmt8YqqHyePK-3ClD3P

1 Like

That’s what I meant by “hard to see”

Ah, ok I see

1 Like

The first thing you lave to do is set the runway with an ILS to NAV1. Runways with ILS have a red cone. To set it up with NAV1, you click on the airport, click runways, tap on the runway you want to use and set to NAV1.

Next, you need to get yourself in position to intercept the localizer (lateral visual aid). To do this, you need to put yourself within 30° of the runway and then wait for the line to start moving to the center. That line represents the runway in relation to your aircraft. That’s when you activate APPR. Your aircraft must be lower than the glideslope first. About 3000’ AGL at the start of the cone

To see the Glide-slope it is the green diamond next to your altimeter in the HUD

1 Like

Perfect @Drummer summed it up.

1 Like

I’ve played IF for nearly 6 years, and put probably the better part of 3,000 hours into it, and it probably wasn’t till year two or three I really felt confident landing well. I just did lots of patterns, and solo approaches, and as you might imagine by doing that at least a few hundred times I got pretty good. Even went on to win gold in the IF olympics thing landing competition. You’ll get there, but it’s not an easy process…

1 Like

Check out Tyler’s tutorial here: https://youtu.be/p4IsNaCRzbg

It will be a visual representation of what I’m taking about

1 Like

Have you tried enabling the landing aid? It helps to give you an idea of how high you should be as you approach and gives you the best glide path. Touchdown softness is determined by the pilot though but give that a try
If you wanted you could do some pattern work at a small effort and have some people watch and rate your landings

1 Like

For Air Koryo? Maybe. In the real world, a smooth landing is considered somewhere around the 50 VS range, though when all you have to control a plane is your phone it is much more difficult. I’d say a 200 FPM landing or less would be considered on the smoother side for IF.

2 Likes