Helicopter of the Day - The "Robbie" 22

The infamous R22!
Yes, majority of us train on the R22/R44 series helicopter. The two-seat R22 was designed in 1973 by Frank Robinson and has been in production since 1979. having a relatively low acquisition and operating costs, the R22 has been popular as a primary rotorcraft trainer around the world and as a livestock management tool on large ranches in North America and cattle stations in Australia.(Due to Cattle Mustering ton of R22 have crashed due to this)
The R22 is powered by a Lycoming O-320, The Betta II has a O-360-J2A Derated engine.
Because of how small the R22 is, it’s easily able to be put on a trailer and shipped.
The R22 is primarily a trainer helicopter, though some companies uses it for hog hunting, surveying, police work, tourism, Cattle mustering and some also are able to do sling loading!

In 2003 Boeing bought an R22 and converted it to an unmanned helicopter. It flew in 2005.

(One of the R22s I fly)

(One of the R22s I fly)

(Personally I hate flying this R22)

(R22 sling loading)

(R22 Cattle mustering)

Here’s a video of cattle mustering

7 Likes

Ya know, I can’t see an R22 without seeing this:

3 Likes

Basically what it looks like!
We have a tiny hamster that runs on a wheel to spin it

1 Like

Exactly! The most expensive part of operating a R22 is the hamster food 😂

We operate an R22 at work, so I hopped in it the other day and BOY talk about tiny. It’s gotta be a blast to fly, though.

2 Likes

What do you use the 22 for?
There’s a place down the way from us with two new KMax and their support helicopter here is an R22 Mariner that has a hook on it, we all laugh at it lol

1 Like

I work at a part 61 flight school. We’re mostly fixed wing, but we have to R22 for rotorcraft training.

Also, is it a fishing hook that’s attached to the R22? I can’t imagine it carrying more than that

1 Like

Oh neat!
Yeah it still blows my mind some R22s have a hook on it, it’s seriously awesome lol

1 Like

I’ll be honest I don’t trust the one with pontoons, but always liked this helicopter (eaven though till a few moments ago I had no Idea what it was called) always loved the kind of ball up front. Me and my friend had a good discussion about that… (wich he won because he actually knew more about it than that it was a helicopter)

I do, why?
Floats are amazing over water lol

1 Like

Well the helicopter looks good, but I have my doubts about the floats…

Lol trust me, floats are really amazing specially water flying.
With a 4:1 ratio I rather have an extra of safety incase I go into the water

1 Like

Well no, I totally get that, they just look a bit old, and I had a bad experience with old floats…

1 Like

Tracking!
Yeah if they’re old then that might be an issue lol

1 Like

Pretty compact helicopter. What makes you hate that R22? Lol.

1 Like

Next time you get in one of these, during flight, stick your hand out of the window.
You’ll be surprised at how fast you turn!

2 Likes

Now I wonder:

Since the helicopter looks so small, how cramped is it to be in there?

1 Like

I’m no helicopter genius as I am more interested in airplanes. I have had an inquiry for quite some time and I believe I finally have the person to solve my doubt. Is the R22 like the Cessna 172 in the helicopter wold? What o am trying to say is that, is the R22 like a beginners helicopter as it’s the most common type of helicopter is see, well at least in my country

1 Like

What wrong with that R22 (red).

1 Like

So 4171J Governor likes to chase it all around so it likes to shimy side to side pretty bad

Absolutely nothing! Just 4171J as I explained above lol

2 Likes

Not to bad but I kinda have to sit lower since I am 6’2

1 Like