Helicopter of the Day - The Bell 412!

This is my favourite helicopter that I have flown to date is the Bell 412.

The Bell 412 is a twin engine helicopter part of the upgraded Huey family. It is a development of the Bell 212, with the major difference being the composite four-blade main rotor.
In the Military world, the Bell 412 is used for Search and Rescue, training, and various other jobs.
In the Civilian world the Bell 412 is used for passengers, heavy lift, medivac, search and rescue, VIP transport, oil and gas operations.

The Bell 412 is powered by PT6T-3DF Twin-Pac turboshafts. Giving it the ability to lift at least 6,000lbs. It can carry up to 13 people and require one pilot (option for two).
it cruises at 122 knots and has a 6 in a half to 7 hour range with ferry tanks.

Here is the one I fly!

18 Likes

Is this the one in your profile? I believe I wrongly identified it a a Huey eirlier 😂

1 Like

Yes it is!
Myself and Abraham Lincoln!

4 Likes

Feel like I should know this, but is it related to the Huey? It looks very similar…

Yes!
The 412 is a member of the upgraded Huey family.
Length wise the 412 is a foot smaller
Height wise the 412 is a foot taller
The Rotor diameter is larger on the 412
Bigger engines then the original UH1

1 Like

Cool, I really need to learn more about helicopters, they are really cool… I suppose I never really needed to since all we have in Pittsburgh is Stat- Medevac and Lifeflight…

1 Like

Youtube is a great place to start!
Figure out why a helicopter flies!

1 Like

Smart people who have a much better math grade than me, and physics… 😂

1 Like

Searously though, I will look into that, I think I have an Idea but it would be really cool to figure that out more…

1 Like

Ha! I’m not smart what so ever my friend and I can tell you youtube can answer that question!

1 Like

You haven’t seen my math grade…

We should stay relatively closeish to the topic, sorry to digress…

Ha! Sorry my math grade was horrible too, I didn’t do very well in school ;)

1 Like

We had state testing today, and since that meant short periods in math (and all my classes) we watched a video about how a non math brain is not a thing… I like to consider my self as a man of science, and would usually believe the neuroscientists, it was hard when I was such a stark disprovement to the video, part of me wants to throw it on dyslexia, but I blame enough on that… 😂

Ok, last of topic post, resume normal commentary… :)

1 Like

Man it’s one am at my place and I found this… i love it 👌

1 Like

Nice! Love the Huey family
I have flown with the 412SP used by the Norwegian armed forces.
I have helped my father a little rebuild a single engine 205 (it had bullet holes lol) Hope I get a chance to fly with it.

1 Like

Ours are EPI which are pretry sweet machines they get the job done!
Sweet!! We have a single engine Bell 212 instead of a PT6 it uses a Honeywell T53

1 Like

did you have to chose between rotorcraft and fixed wing and if so how did you make that decsision

1 Like

I have my private fix wing! So when I got on with Erickson I went in several test flights and feel in love. When we were bought out my new company realized I had a passion and help me chase mg stuff!

1 Like

ahh ok.
was just curious.

1 Like

Thanks for the question man!
I guess it comes down to “what do I love” ya know?
Fix wing is fun I’ve done cool stuff and flown cool places but helicopters are just so unique and have such a wide of different type of jobs

1 Like