Helicopter of the Day- KMAX

Why not discuss different helicopters in the industry?!
So let’s start!

Recently a company in Anchorage, Alaska, called Rotak, bought two Kaman K-MAX helicopters.
Kaman is an American based company out in Connecticut.

The KMax is a single pilot helicopter with intermeshing rotors (synchropter) It’s powered by Honeywells T53-17 turboshaft engine.

The KMax is used for heavy lifting jobs, fire fighting, and as an unmanned aerial vehicle in Afghanistan! It has a lifting Capacity of 6,000lbs.
The KMax went out of production and reenter production back in 2015 with the KMax K-1200.
Each cost between 7.2 Million - 8.1 Million.

Manned KMax

Manned KMax

Unmanned KMax

Fire fighting KMax

14 Likes

What a fascinating aircraft! thanks for posting this! Have you ever flown one?

2 Likes

Welcome!
I have not, though I know a guy who has connections to these, there’s a jump seat on the outside of the helicopter I’m going try ride on lol

2 Likes

So kinda like a side car? haha thats gotta be a fun ride. I’m not as familiar with rotorcraft as i am fixed wing, but would this require a separate type rating?

1 Like

More like this lol

You don’t need a type rating since it’s below 12,500lbs. Just your standard Private Pilot (Helicopter) certificate and that’s it!

1 Like

This is a really cool looking aircraft, thanks for sharing!

It’s amazing how thin it is yet it has 2 rotters!

2 Likes

Holy guacamole! Sign me up! Although it sort of looks like hazing, where you dict tape the new guy to the wall… haha

Yeah it’s seriously thin but it’s so neat! lol Kaman’s typically does a rotorsystem like that.

1 Like

LOL! Yeah but totally be worth it!

1 Like

Great topic! Love Helicopters ( would love to see some in IF one day…)

We had a lodger who was an ex-RAF pilot and was working for Boeing as a test pilot on the Chinook fleet from RAF Odiham.

I also like the look of the larger heavy lift helicopters such as the Super Sea Stallion, Sea King and the Merlin.

1 Like

Got a friend who flies the Sea King for the Germans whay a beast of a machine. I am hoping to end up flying the Crane or the S61

1 Like

Out of all the helicopters in the world, I was not expecting one of these to stop by my small town’s municipal airport! It’s sounds a lot different than a normal helicopter.

1 Like

Where are you at do you know why it came?

The airport is KGWS Glenwood Springs Municipal Airport and I think it was privately owned.

1 Like

Why is that guy doing that! That is a bad idea if I have ever seen it…😂

Also as someone who konws a bit about helicoptere, like generaly how they work… Is this better than a typical rear rotor? It just seems less fuel efficient?

It’s a procedure to evacuate wounded, so the gunner will sit on the side while the wounded sits inside guarded lol

Your second question what do you mean?

Figured your question out!
So I asked around the office and the answer we thought
“It doesn’t have an Anti Torque system so it has better performance wise”

Have you ever flown a Sikorsky s-92 ?

1 Like

Partly, sorry I was doing things in real life (I know crazy that stuf still exists😂) but I was also thinking if it has no tail rotor the way I understand is that it has 2 eingens instead of sort of 1.5, now maby my whole idea is wrong, but wouldnt this be a major insufficiency… When stacked apples to apples with somthing like tge helo in your profile wich I think is a Huey??? ?(probably not I know very little about helicopters) but can it do anythink a regular, I think more efficient helo cant?