Helicopter of the Day - BO105

Let’s look at a really neat helicopter!
The Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm BO-105 is a light twin engine multi-purpose helicopter.
Originally built by Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm (now currently Airbus) the BO105 was the first light twin helicopter in production, and its the first rotorcraft that could perform aerobatic maneuvers, such as inverted loops. The Bo 105 features a revolutionary hingeless rotor system, at that time a pioneering innovation in helicopters when it was introduced into service in 1970.

The BO105 is used in several different militarizes around the world as a gun ship, others as a Search and Rescue vessel.

(Germany’s BO105)

(Canadian Coast Guard BO105C)

The Civilian version BO105 is manned by one pilot with the option of two and carry up to four passengers.
It has two Allison 250-C20B turboshaft. In the civilian world the 105 is used for ton of different operations, everything from Search and Rescue to medivac, to Oil and Gas operations to Aerobatics (Redbull). Our BO105 use to fly to Little Diomede Island, N730TS.

(BO105S)

(BO105S)

(BO105S)

(inverted BO105)

Here’s some of the 105 in Antarctica

7 Likes

Woah, that inverted shot looks awesome. Thanks for the post :)

2 Likes

Yeah it’s pretty neat! Only 3 or 4 people in the world are qualified to do aerobatics in the helicopter!

2 Likes

Really? That’s very low, I thought there would be thousands.

Naw that’s way to high!
In the US Only one is Chuck Aaron he’s retired.
Then there is Rainer Wilke, Siegfried Schwarz, and then Mirko Flaim.

I did sit in the cockpit of the first one (Bundeswehr)

1 Like

They’re kinda roomy aren’t they?

1 Like

It’s kinda hard to tell because it is probably more than 10 years ago and I wasn’t fully grown up. 😂

But they were definitely impressive. Especially with the weapons on it. (Probably just dummies for the show though)

1 Like

I don’t doubt they would put dummies for the weapons, could you imagine if some one hit the wrong button #UhOh

2 Likes

Well the weapons won’t activate just by pushing one button.
Probably more like pushing and switching more than a dozen switches and buttons xD.
And I do highly doubt anybody would do that just by „accident“.😂

Here is a video what the Bo105 was used for in the german military. It’s in german but you might still enjoy the vid. (This vid was probably made in the 80s)

2 Likes

Am I correct in thinking the Red Bull one was converted and used in the last James Bond film Spectre for the scene in the parade square?

2 Likes

Yes!
Red Bull repainted one to a grey colour, Chuck Aaron’s flew it. Ironically I am watching that scene now! lol

2 Likes

Tbh I have seen specter only once and I think it’s really bad same as all other Daniel Craig James Bond movies, wich is a shame in my opinion because I do absolutely love the Bond movies.
Because of that I can’t really tell.

And a video of a demonstration flight.

1 Like

Great flying skills. Good film too

1 Like

They did amazing flying with that BO105, they had take it to a different part of Mexico to do its aerobatic scenes.

1 Like

Here’s the “Behind the Scenes” for Chuck and his 105 in James Bond

1 Like

Again as a non helo expert would it not shoot down? I have seen helicopter aerobics and always wondered about this… is it that it is so quick?

1 Like

What do you mean “shoot down”?

I think he means because the propellors provide lift so if they were upside down wouldn’t they pull it down?

2 Likes

With how quick they flip it I don’t believe they’d be pulled downward, think there is a slight drop but nothing crazy

1 Like