Heating issues 20.3

Device : iPad Pro 2020, iOS 14.5.1
App Version : 20.3

Today I did a short haul flight on B757 and my iPad was hot, no case installed. I usually keep graphic settings low and battery saver mode on while in cruise. Even with power source battery remained at 10%. Is this issue being addressed in 21.1? I feel iPad Pro is a powerful device and can handle high graphics easily.

1 Like

Besides background activities of your iPad, your surroundings can also play a vital role. Avoid hot temperatures and sun directly shining on your device. I’d also recommend staying in cockpit view during cruise, to further reduce the workload.
After all an iPad Pro that’s that new shouldn’t face any problems though.

2 Likes

Thanks! Yes, it’s indoors, I prefer using scenic mode, just to avoid any screen burn-in for long flights.

1 Like

Is there a risk while staying in cockpit view? (screen burn issue, don’t know how this is named exactly)

1 Like

@lakshit_bedi i didn’t see you mention screen brightness and volume but, do you lower these to minimal settings once at cruise. Screen brightness is a major contributor to my iPad Pro heating up. If you haven’t already, I’d recommend lowering your brightness especially when flying around Noon time.

2 Likes

Yes, both volume and brightness is set to minimum, no apps running in background.

1 Like

I don’t think this is really an issue as long as your device isn’t at the absolute limit of its capacity

I have the same issue, I use the iPhone 7 though

I do low brightness, tail view in night pointing to the sky

Low graphics and everything

1 Like

I though so, as most textures in cockpit are static. I will try staying in cockpit view for my next flight and post results here.

1 Like

Yeah you can ask my S8 about that

1 Like

Infinite Flight does not have access to power management of your ipad - IOS manages both charging and processor temps, and infinite flight just tries to squeeze as much performance for itself as it could. It should probably get better with 21.1 - they needed to optimize the engine to get a few million spare polygons for the terminals, so it’s probably safe to say the atmosphere part of the game is now more efficient, which is probably the only thing you see on cruise.
With that said, batteries do warm up when you charge them - apple can’t defy laws of physics (yet?) - which, coupled with the heat from CPU/GPU can heat up the thermals to the point that the system would throttle your charging. Only thing you can do is make sure you don’t have any background processes running and that the brightness of your display is set to low. Also, if you’re not using the charger that came with your ipad, make sure it is at least 10W.

1 Like

ipad has an ips display. So screen burn in is more unlikely than an amoled display.

1 Like

Apple devices tend to do this its common among small electronics as they do not have a fan or a cooling system like your laptop or pc does Apple adds to this by putting a metal case around the back of your phone causing it to absorb the heat. The best way to combat this heating is to have the case off and only charge your device during cruise. I always plug mine in when at cruise to prevent battery drain. If your device becomes to hot unplug it a few minutes before you plan to resume manual control of the aircraft to cool it off use a fan. If your hands start to burn set the device down and end the flight. Do not attempt to use an ice back or any extremely cold substance to cool your device you could trigger a reaction of the electronics inside.

2 Likes

If you haven’t, activate the “limit frame rate” option, and perhaps lower your device brightness. That stuff always work for me.

1 Like

My Tablet S6 has heating issues too…
But wenn i turn the Anti-Aliasing to OFF than it cool down

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.