Heathrow's Third Runway Ruled Illegal

While the construction of Heathrow’s third runway was anticipated by many, plans to build a third runway at Heathrow Airport have just been ruled illegal according to the Court of Appeal. This was because insufficient care was given towards carbon emissions as well as UK’s obligations under the Paris Agreement and towards climate change, dealing a harsh blow to the project. What are your opinions on this?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/27/heathrow-third-runway-ruled-illegal-over-climate-change

Do you support the construction of the third runway at Heathrow? Vote below!

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Personally, I don’t agree with this decision. Don’t planes already burn a lot of fuel flying those holding patterns and by idling in long taxi times?

12 Likes

Really? Heathrow needs this 3rd runway! We were all anticipating it.

8 Likes

shoot I did not read and clicked no…

Yes unfortunately it has just been ruled illegal by the courts a few hours ago :( Let’s have a moment of silence for the third runway.

1 Like

You can click “show vote” and change it.

3 Likes

Here I England, we are only publicly selling electric cars from 2035, and that is a law. I see why it could be made illegal, but we are making the most economic decision and progress out of the entire world. As the world gets more popular we need more transport, and more travel. I’m a supporter of the Heathrow expansion, as much as I would support Gatwick it would be a pain and would have to have SO MUCH work ti the already much-crowded motorways in its area. Heathrow can support the traffic, Gatwick struggles.

Aircraft are using less fuel and finding more efficient engines as we grow. The world will never be reversed, we have took it too far for this. We can only slow, but globally this is almost impossible since the every day items we use, we need to live, and we get these from factories which use a high level of fuel and such.

8 Likes

For my part planes are not the main sources of global warming or continuous air traffic with a lot of planes but this 3rd runway would be safer for air traffic rather than prohibiting it. It is not a priority to ban airstrips. Certainly in London there are a lot of airports but for LHR the hub is important.

2 Likes

Yes, furthermore planes will hopefully spend less time in holding patterns and taxi times if Heathrow were to increase its’ slot capacity with a third runway, which would drastically reduce carbon emissions.

3 Likes

I think LHR will have its 3rd track. If the price is put he will have the power. Unless it belongs to the government.
And frankly for the training server it would be perfect 😂

2 Likes

Haha can’t wait to see Heathrow with 3 runways on the training server! Hopefully it’ll prevent those taxiway or unauthorised takeoffs.

2 Likes

Also hope. Because when I want to do ATC it’s impossible

1 Like

Not any chance. Also controlling it won’t be bad really 🤷‍♂️

It would be a heck of a lot of fun to edit, but to be honest some of us might not even be here by the time it is added

3 Likes

Yeah sometimes it’s just the regular users at Heathrow but I guess Heathrow can stay with its’ 2 runways for now.

1 Like

I’m a pretty major supporter of the runway for the sake of Heathrow’s future but I can see why people might go against it. The problem is, if Heathrow expands, it’ll be the largest CO2 emitter in the country, you’re gonna have to bridge over the M25 which might cause closure causing huge spikes in traffic in other areas knowing that the M25 is congested as it is, you’re gonna have to demolish at least one or two of the 3 villages north of Heathrow where the third will be put onder the flight path, either way, Harmondworth, Sipson and Harlington won’t be happy. Unless planes become extremely green and quiet, an expansion, it would be a sort of win-win. For aviation and Heathrow itself, it’s a win. For general life, it’s a huge loss. Regardless of expansion or not, you’re going to cause a problem.

8 Likes

Wow! That was unexpected. If Heathrow doesn’t get this third runway - it will lose its hub status before too long.

1 Like

Who cares if Heathrow loses its hub status?

As great as JFK and Schiphol are, London just isn’t set-up like that.

Instead of one super airport we have 4 (+ City and Southend) smaller ones.

We should work on taking the others to capacity first in my opinion. Make London itself the Hub.

5 Likes

Indeed, even though Heathrow’s expansion could be very profitable to the airport in the long run, there has been no decision made yet to appeal the court’s decision, so Heathrow would most likely remain in its’ current state, given the massive costs to build a third runway. (compare it to HS2 for reference)

1 Like

Yes, London’s aviation model might evolve to be similar to that of NYC’s in the long run, where 3 medium-to-large-size airports serve the city (although JFK is arguably a little large) and none of them have runway addition plans, although LGA has plans for capacity expansion.

Booooooo. Put the third runway in the middle of the taxiways and problem solved.

1 Like

We actually have 5 extra. The only one that has long hauls (from what I know) is Gatwick and, if plans go ahead, Stansted. None of those have the great capacity of Heathrow. 6 airports would be a hassle and can cause some problems with mistaking airports for other airports. The only way you could solve that issue is by expanding Gatwick, Stansted or Luton, both being far away but having good links. The problem with the transport link is that you’d have to majorly expand the rail lines, the motorways, maybe even expanding the Tube (probably the Northern Line being the southernmost) from Morden all the way to Gatwick and, for Stansted, High Barnet, both having to stretch long distances. The mainline trains would be mad expensive because of privatisation. If it’s nationalised, then rails would be a decent option if they weren’t always late, majorly expensive. Yes Express trains exist, but you still have to pay extra for that, adding on the privatised prices.

4 Likes