Heathrow Departures Halted- Drone sighting (Resumed)

London Heathrow (EGLL) has halted all departures due to a suspected drone sighting a link is attached below which should supply all the necessary information:
BBC News - Heathrow airport: Drone sighting halts departures

6 Likes

Just saw this come up on the news. Its shocking that people are so selfish. Heathrow has two runways though so it shouldn’t shut down like Gatwick.

Also with runway 3 gaining more traction this will only become more common with people who oppose it taking matters into their own hands.

Do you think it could be the same people as the ones from Gatwick?

Probably…

2 Likes

It is surprising what people do just to get photos etc or some people do it deliberately to inflict pain and anger. I know from experience that things like a drone being flown can cause huge disruption. As once at my workplace they was a drone in vicinity of the area and the patient had to be transported via a ambulance as someone wanted to get snaps of the helicopter!

2 Likes

I think at present we shouldn’t speculate until these sighting/sightings are confirmed

1 Like

I find this unfortunate, but a part of me is really cracking up right now.

9 Likes

Stansted and Luton better be on guard…

3 Likes

@Joseph_Krol same, I simultaneously was like oh darn, thats bad, and started dying of laughter… 😂

1 Like

But I mean they will have some sort of expertise soon… 😂

Wasn’t it confirmed that the Gatwick Drone was actually a light from a crane?

1 Like

This incident is motivated by what happened at Gatwick few weeks earlier.
Shame on the drone pilots. Not sure what they want to accomplish by this!

2 Likes

They was many sightings and of course alot of speculation!

I don’t think so because police found a broken drone near the runaway and on insta gram some recordedthe drone flying over

You’d have thought that on top of the investigation into the Gatwick “attack” they’d have put measures in at all London airports to stop this from happening again. They’ve had 2 weeks to do something but we’re still helpless. Makes you question what is really going on in Westminster!

3 Likes

Heathrow is open again as an Aegean flight is taking off

1 Like

Yeah, looks like it backed up arrivals tho. A couple of planes are in holding patterns.

1 Like

It’s a very good point i dont want to get into politics as i will rant half the night lol.I argee with you they have had plentiful time and a fair amount of time especially over the festive period to prepare and deter future drone attacks as such.

2 Likes

But it’s not as easy as it seems. I could grab my drone now, drive to Heathrow, and fly it over the airport. They can’t do much in two weeks. Although I agree that more should have been done in previous years as this problem will now only get worse and worse.

2 Likes

I was under the impression the tech was available just very expensive and in need of purchasing. Which is the governments job, but let’s not get into politics!

2 Likes