Hawaiian Airlines B717 takeoff from PHOG

Nice and smooth,decent altitude control. Just make sure to not exceed the flap Vref and control the nose bump when retracting flap, (which I know is seriously hard on IF)

On the takeoff roll there is really no need to advance N1 to 50% with brakes on, you’re just burning fuel and causing brake heat. No more than 30%, when you are ready to go, release brakes, N1 50% and stabilise, then you can advance the throttles slightly quicker to takeoff power, you don’t want to be wasting the TORA by idling down the runway.

4 Likes

Sadly there is no information regarding flap Vref for the 717. I only know from an article that at flaps 40° the aircraft lands at 139kts.
I also don’t know the flap schedule of the B717, if every notch of flaps are used or it skips some like in the B737 and B777.
Do you have some info regarding those points?

2 Likes

I have no idea I’m afraid, it’s not an aircraft I fly regularly, follow general flap schedules from early 737 I would imagine the stress numbers are roughly inline.

1 Like

It never ocurred to me following the schedule of the early 737. I’ll look it up after I land in Chile.

1 Like

Maybe even a 707 I don’t know the history of the aircrafts involved.

1 Like

from what i know i think 62 percent is way to much trim on takeoff

1 Like

Boeing 717-200 Tutorial this is helpful

Its an old model. And its not as refined as the A320 family.

Nice take off, but those aircrafts climb like rockets… more climb rate next time.

2 Likes

Was gonna say the climb rate looked pretty shallow for the 717 :P

How many degrees do I have to pitch the aircraft on takeoff?

I dont know about degrees but, alot more

1 Like

I don’t know about degrees but I believe climb rates of around 3500 fpm are typical of the 717.

Why is the VS so high?

It’s not that high. Most commercial aircraft have an initial climb rate immediately after take off of anywhere from 3000-4000fpm.

1 Like

I found this in the Qantas VA manual. All about the 717. Hope this helped 🙂

2 Likes

I fly the 717 in the Hawaiian islands usually once or twice a day. I’ve found that in IF, the best and most realistic takeoff configuration (I set the passenger weight to maximum and about 1/3 fuel for the short island hops) is;
Flaps 10
Trim 10
N1 90%
Vr 150knots
Initial climb set to 3000fpm
At 3000ft / 210 knots IAS retract flaps
At 5000ft reduce climb to about 2200-2400fpm
Reduce N1 back to 66%
This will hold you under 250knots IAS for the climb out.
Crossing 10,000ft if you reduce the climb rate back again to 2000ft and leave the N1 at 66% your IAS will increase to 280knots IAS. Hold this until crossing FL180 and again reduce your climb to 1800fpm and increase N1 to 70% and you will maintain a realistic speed until cruise altitude.

Too many people increase N1 back up to a crazy level like 90% after crossing 10,000ft and climb out at something like 350knots IAS - ludicrously unrealistic.

1 Like

Rotation and climb angle of the 717 is pretty steep.

4 Likes

Thanks for this, I was looking for it!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.