Have you flown EVA Air from North America to Taipei before?

Upcoming Flight - 14/06/19

Hello. I will be flying from Chicago O’Hare to Manila, Philippines via Tapei, Taiwan on EVA Air. I would like to know if anyone has beforehand flown from North America to Taipei before with EVA, and what their experience was. I will be flying economy in seat 69A on the ORD-TPE leg, and 26K in Prem. Economy on the TPE-MNL leg. For further knowledge, I am traveling as a UM with a 4-hour connection in Taoyuan, and the aircraft is a 777-300ER for both legs. (Series A)
Flight Details
25%20PM

Personal Questions

• What was your experience flying EVA Air from North America to Taipei on a 777-300ER?
  • What was the economy product like?
  • Should I be aware of anything in particular?
  • What was your personal experience in Terminal 2 at Taoyuan?
  • Are there any places you recommend for me in Terminal 2?
  • What is EVA Air’s premium economy product like?
  • What was your experience flying EVA Air from Taipei to East/Southeast Asia?
    Newly added questions:
  • Is there anything I should watch out for during transit that might avail danger to me?
  • What phrases/words in Mandarin may be useful? (For a male.)
  • Experience traveling as an Unaccompanied Minor with EVA Air on any route?

I am grateful if anyone can provide their experiences, reviews, and answers to the above questions! :) As much as I do love hearing everyone’s stories, I do not wish to read replies about competing airlines and their service, any IF flights, etc. Please stay on topic is what I’m saying. I will next week post a vlog on YouTube showcasing my travel and destination, which will be available at my channel monitoglassescase.

If I have any further persisting questions or if any of you have any questions brought up below, up until 14/06, I will add them to this topic.

Disclaimer: I will not be flying on any Sanrio/Hello Kitty liveries, unfortunately. I have previously flown a couple of 777-300ER’s. I have flown with Cathay and ANA, but never EVA. What you have to say about the hard economy product is rather appreciated, thank you.

4 Likes

I have not, but I suggest looking at the site below:
https://sandinmysuitcase.com/eva-air-review/ It might provide you with some information.

1 Like

It was a great link, thank you! However from what I read on it, the writers had flown on a B747, and they only provided what they knew from 777-300ER information. I hope to find more personal experiences from community members, but thank you very much on the website! :)

1 Like

I have flown Eva Air before from Seattle to Taipei, great experience!

• The 11 hour flight was full of movies! The staff are very friendly
  • Economy seats were comfy!
  • You shouldn’t be aware of anything bad besides bad turbulence if any
  • In the terminal at Taipei, My experience was actually not amazing or 10/10. Only because the walk is almost 3 miles for my family! But there are many places to visit like the lounge, and the hello kitty shop. There is also some libraries
  • The wait for our flight from Taipei to Macau was 2 hours so my mom visited the Hello Kitty Store along with us going to the ground floor where bus pickups for the remote terminals are. I got to see 8 special liveries in total!
  • The ride to the remote terminal is bumpy but nothing minor! Nice views of the airport. Basically like a VIP transit through the airport
  • The crew know English so you do not need to use mandarin. But if you do speak mandarin they will understand.
  • Although I did travel with my family (Mom and Sister) I sat next to the window while they sat 2 rows behind and Center of the 777.

Bonus: They sell many items on the plane like Models from 1:200 to 1:500 Or accessories like tooth brushes or cleaning stuff. Enjoy your Flight :)

2 Likes

@Cameron_Stone can answer some of these.

2 Likes

Yes I can lol

• Their 777 is really nice! Got plenty of rest, didn’t feel the effects of jetlag at all once I got to my final destination

• Economy is great! Plenty of legroom and space under the seat for personal items. Good recline, free pillow and blanket, and great options for food.

• Just make sure not to bring any illegal products or whatever into the country. Same with any other international flight. They are a big fan of preserving pigs, so don’t bring anything that will harm them. You shouldn’t have a problem, but a bit of research and double-checking wouldn’t hurt.

• I’m honestly not sure what terminal I was in since the chaperone was very disorganized and confused, but the airport layout in general isn’t overly complicated. Once you deplane, make sure you go on the inside part for connections. If you stay on the outside, you will keep walking in circles through the same quarantine checkpoints.

• There are plenty of shops in the terminal. In fact, most of the public area is shopping and creative designs (in the lounges). You board from below the main area, so if you search hard enough on the main level I bet you’ll find something. Most shops accept USD.

• Didn’t fly premium economy, so I can’t answer.

• Their southeast Asia product is also great. I flew their A330-200 to Hanoi. The screens were significantly smaller and worse quality, but the legroom and food service was of similar quality. Since you are on another 777, I can’t say if they laid it out differently from your long haul or not.

• I don’t think anything should danger you. The airport is as secure as any U.S. airport, and the airline is safe, so I don’t foresee any issues,

• Can’t really answer the last two, as we were only in Taipei for a layover and didn’t deem it necessary to learn Mandarin when were were also trying to grasp some Vietnamese words. You should be fine with just English, but obviously a culture’s native language is greatly appreciated. Try learning “please” and “thank you” and other related words.

4 Likes

Thanks for the insight. I speak a little Mandarin but I just wanted to know if some staff spoke English. Hope you enjoyed Vietnam, and by the way, sad to hear you got fired from the keyboard factory. Maybe next time just slash your way through the haters :)

Yeah Vietnam was really interesting and a cool place to visit. But yes, all airline staff (as far as I know) are required to be fluent in English, and airport staff learn phrases through the years, if they didn’t know anything already.

And yes it is a real shame. Hopefully the space makes them realize they need me back.

2 Likes

Hi, @coffeeteaorme I’m from Taiwan, and I nearly always fly with EVA Air.

• What was your experience flying EVA Air from North America to Taipei on a 777-300ER?
    It was a great experience. However, the wifi is expensive.

You’d only get earphones, not headphones. The IFE screen is very responsive especially the newer B77Ws, however there are no remote controllers. The food is tasty.

No, I don’t think so.

• What was your personal experience in Terminal 2 at Taoyuan?
    It was a good experience.

• Are there any places you recommend for me in Terminal 2?
    I have never transferred in TPE (obviously), however, there are themed waiting areas where you can spend your time. Also, you can try some authentic Taiwanese food while you are transferring. By the way, if you have time you can probably check out the aviation museum and a place where you can do some planespotting (in the museum). However, you need to pass immigration to access.

• What is EVA Air’s premium economy product like?
    EVA Air’s premium economy product is good. The seats are comfy, the IFE screens are responsive, and the recline is what you would expect on PE Class. The food is again tasty (2 hot meals and a snack)

• What was your experience flying EVA Air from Taipei to East/Southeast Asia?
    Since you are flying on a 1 hour flight, you should only expect a cold meal. And the IFE won’t be switched off.

• Is there anything I should watch out for during transit that might avail danger to me?
    Avoid bringing any meat products to Taiwan even if you are transferring.

• What phrases/words in Mandarin may be useful? (For a male.)
    轉機. Transfer
    報到. Check-in
    安檢. Security Check
    登機. Boarding
    登機門. Boarding Gate
    出境. Departure

One last thing, EVA Air Flight Attendants are having a strike some time in mid/end of June.

2 Likes

Thank you! This was very helpful, especially from someone native to Taiwan. Will check out the airport as much as I can, and hopefully all the flight attendants get their paycheck 😅 Thanks again for the helpful information, and I’ll be soon to report on what happened on Friday.

My friend flew EVA PE and he told me a little about it, let me tell you what he said.

• lots of legroom
  • food was Taiwanese food
  • good food portions
  • IFE was good

that’s all I can say about PE, enjoy your flight!

1 Like

I flew China Airlines, but I can answer some of your questions.

• What was your experience flying EVA Air (China Airlines) from North America to Taipei on a 777-300ER?

It was a pretty good flight but it was very long, so I recommend sleeping for the majority of the flight.

It was uncomfortable after a few hours, but the IFE is one of the best i’ve used

The flight is very long

• What was your experience flying EVA Air China Airlines from Taipei to East/Southeast Asia?
    They sometimes fly wide-bodies on these short-medium haul routes, which I did. The plane was pretty old but it was comfortable.

I’m under the age of 16, and have flown unaccompanied before. This summer, I’m returning to Taipei on EVA. Can’t say much about the actual flight experience, but I think that as an UM, you should be fine (especially since you’re flying on a 5 star airline). EVA has excellent customer service and very friendly flight attendants. Enjoy the trip!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.