Have you flown a VFR (pilotage) flight on IF?

Have you flown a VFR flight? With the current terrain system, it’s quite difficult, as the only (accurate) visual markers are mountains or rivers. Today I flew from Oxford (EGTK) down to EG93 on the Thames, following it direct, which was about 100 miles and 1:15 hours in the Super D. Any of you flown one? If so, say the route, markers, and post any screenshots you have.

9 Likes

Do you turn off your mini map?

1 Like

No mini map or HUD for me

6 Likes

It’s not that I don’t want to, it’s that I probably couldn’t, none of the regions in IF are where my house and surroundings are so I couldn’t tell where I am going.

3 Likes

Never, I have no terrain to use as markers.

1 Like

Don’t need to :D, just find a river or mountain. For example, you can fly L35-KSAN pretty well by following the mountain ridge heading south, then turning to 270 and gaining visual. Or following the keys up to 07FA in SoFlo

3 Likes

Rivers and mountains

1 Like

Should I make a tutorial on how to fly a VFR flight?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I think it would take time for me to figure out what I am doing, I’ll attempt a VFR later possibly.

3 Likes

I would like a tutorial, are VFR flights typically done with GA planes?

3 Likes

Yeah, sometimes visual approaches aren’t uncommon.

2 Likes

I’ll fly KAVX-BUR later as I live in the area, wish me luck

2 Likes

@Mix56awesome primarily. Legally speaking, any plane can, but airlines cannot, and VFR restricts entry into clouds and low vis.

@Kevin_Potthast, weirdly, visual approaches are actually IFR operations.

4 Likes

VFR will be hardish over the sea - find the shoreline fast then head north until you see LAX: get past LAX, turn right and head to the mountain range heading 90-270 along the north side of LA, and look for BUR.

2 Likes

You don’t need pilotage in order to fly VFR. You can use VORs, NDBs, and GNSS under VFR, but you must maintain flight in VMC and maintain visual separation with terrain.

1 Like

Luckily I’m in the area and have actually flown above it before so I should be able to find BUR easily, you’re right about the ocean though, it’ll be difficult.

1 Like

Correct - but this thread is more about pilotage VFR. Have edited title accordingly

2 Likes

Anytime I do a VFR flight, I turn off the HUD completely and only rely on the status bar along the bottom showing information. Its hard because of the repeating terrain but if youve flown the area enough you can make do.

2 Likes

Make sure to monitor #tutorials today! I’ll be uploading a VFR tutorial, covering everything from weather minimums to navigation

3 Likes

I had a go at a VFR flight. Like you said: no radar display, no hud; just visual.
My problem was that I loose track of where I am - in relation to the airport - very quickly. I need to learn to fly by compass only. Also, we do have the ability to look around and check our surroundings but here you see the limits of a flight simulator where we are missing the feeling of speed and turns.

To maximise my chance of failure, I picked a mountain area and a grass runway ;-)

2 Likes