Have you ever taken off in bad weather?

Have you ever taken off in a storm while going somewhere? I took of in really heavy rain when coming back from Fiji last year.

I took off in really heavy rain last year in Fiji

LBA-VCE. Upon takeoff Terrential rain. Low thick clouds that we spent a long time in.

On the return trip the plane always buffets as if you’re getting a wing strike. - that’s just Leeds though. The airport is on the hill and up drafts of wind surround the aircraft giving you inevitably bumpy landings.

1 Like

I ran into a thunderstorm while on approach to KMCO

Wow, what a coincidence…

Same aircraft as @emir_sergio?

Hes my brother But back on topic…

We are brothers

1 Like

Heck yea! We had a nasty thunder storm at Melbourne on take off once. We riggled around everywhere on the runway. Im pretty sure we where close to slipping :(

2 Likes

Different surnames?

I hate LBA.

For one day in my holiday I went to Bolzano and spent some time at the airport. Quite an interesting approach through the valley along with low lying clouds.

1 Like

@Skylines I remember when a plane slipped off the runway at KLGA.

1 Like

Better not have been at the water runway ends :(

2 Likes

No, the runway had snow on it

1 Like

It fell into a ditch

2 Likes

Phew * :)

My other story is about a landing at Adelaide. It was so bad that the aircraft nearly missed the runway. The lady across the isle had 3 kids who were crying and carrying on, once we landed I said to the lady are you alright. She said to me: “With all that action Im gunna need a pretty strong beer”

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

When landing at KBWI my grandmother said the plane bounced.

1 Like

I ran through a storm over the Netherlands/North Germany. Caused some awful turbulence

1 Like

I haven’t taken off in bad weather, but while landing at BWI everyone’s phones were going off with tornado warnings. There was also a torrential downpour, fog/low clouds, and high crosswinds! We didn’t see ground until we were over the runway! We didn’t put hear down until about two minutes prior to touching down. The touch down was very abrupt and hard. People we terrified and when we landed the whole plane started clapping! Only later to find out when we got to our gate, our connections weren’t taking off, because we had landed at BWI when the airport was closed and were only accepting landing planes, people could taxi to the runway, just not takeoff.

2 Likes

I’ve taken off in really heavy fog before. Less that 1/4 of a nautical mile. So thick you couldn’t even see the tip of the wing!

2 Likes