Have you ever been in a flight which had an emergency?

I’m not sure if this is counted as an emergency. As it happens before takeoff roll

Back in March 2013, When I took a China Airlines flight from HKG-CGK. My aircraft suddenly stopped after being towed for pushback. Later, a pilot gave us an announcement there was an problem with the Aircraft’s APU. Which makes the aircraft on hold for 2 hours. As a result, we arrived 3 hours late from the schedule

3 Likes

i have been diverted once from Auckland - Wellington diverted to Christchurch after 3 go arounds

3 Likes

SN463 NBO-BRU diverted to Cairo due to medical situation onboard. For sure they squawked 7700. Hopefully the madam who needed medical help is ok.

3 Likes

There was a ground stop at KLGA (surprise!) and we didn’t have enough fuel to circle any longer so had to divert to Rochester. Wouldn’t really constitute that as an emergency. They had everything under control and knew exactly how long they could hold.

Now, being a stranded in Rochester? That’s an emergency. Oh well, I had all day to play around in Rochester so I rented a car and went to the lake shore and stuff so it wasn’t that bad.

6 Likes

We thought it was an emergency landing, it was only a Ryanair pilot (with all the respect). We landed at about -400 Feet/minute!

5 Likes

The only thing which has happened to me was diverting to another airport due to bad weather and as soon as we boarded the flight to Tirana, the passengers got told that the generator or something like that, wasn’t working so we got delayed by 9 hours

3 Likes

Nope not me luckily!😀

1 Like

I’ve been on a flight that i had 3 go arounds and the 4th time it landed safely

2 Likes

Yeah.We were on Mahan air and we were on takeoff roll when there was a spark in the left engine.We had just a bit of the runway left and then the pilot had to abort the takeoff.Happened in 2009.

2 Likes

My flight back in 2014 in March went off course and ran out of fuel over the Indian ocean.

In all seriousness never been in one. Worst case landing was on a school ski trip, when landing at Canberra/YSCB experienced wind shear at 5ft

7 Likes

I have had a malfunctioning airspeed indicator on an Emeraude CP320 (great taildragger) once but I wasn’t the PF, and was flying on the right seat. Was an interesting experience to fly without any speed indication. The pilot who is also the owner of the aircraft did a marvelous job getting us back safely!

In this case, you would only rely on your feelings and on the RPM setting/ aircraft attitude (e.g. 2500RPM in a Cessna 150 while flying level will give you roughly 95 knots indicated).

11 Likes

About a 13 years ago I was on a Britannia 757 to Turkey and someone unfortunately had a heart attack resulting in an emergency landing in Munich. I don’t really remember much about it as I was only very young.

1 Like

Nope never. Not a Go Around, no diversions, no major delays because of a mechanical problem, no fuel dumping, no medical emergency, no nothing.
Flying is so safe…

9 Likes

Wasn’t there someone in hear who was on that dash 8 that landed with gear up awhile ago?

4 Likes

MaxSez: Never had a commercial or GA Incident/Accident. Had 3 in military aircraft incidents back in the day; 1) Early 60’s… Flying as an aerial gunner/crew on a Marine H-34D participating in Op Igloo White in vicinity of thr
A Sau Valley out of Khe Son. Lost power due the mech issue, autorotated into a paddy. No crew injuries, extracted by number 2. Down copter, Strike Damage, destroyed by Sandy friendly fire. (Aircraft type now on display, Marine Corps Museum, Quantico, Va.) 2). Early 70’s, MCAS Kaneohe, HI (KHNG). Worked on a hanger queen C-117 (DC-3) for months. Got her airworthy, LOL. 1st Test Flight, Right Seat, Engine Fire No.1(ruptured fuel line) on takeoff. Bottle pulled, smoker, RTB successful (Aircraft now on display at the Marine Corps Museum, Quantico, Va) Early 70’s. Out of KBay,(KHNG) OV-10 (Bronco), as FACA. Recovery Bradshaw Army (PHSF, Big Island). On landing No.1 reverser clutch failed, unable to retard/low speed runaway, asymmetrical loss off control at low speed on runway, excursion, nose wheel buckled. A good landing, walked away. Remember, there are old Pilots and bold Pilots but there very few Old, Bold Pilots. Know your machine & the environment and never stop learning your trade.

10 Likes

Yeah that was @emil. I don’t think he likes to talk about it though.

1 Like

My friend’s cousin were. Are you talking about the one with nose gear problem in London?

1 Like

No, he was talking about this one:

6 Likes

Ah. Ok. Sorry… …

1 Like

I never had an emergency while flying, I just experienced some events like bad weather/moderated turbulence and 2 go-arounds, but they were not the big deal.

1 Like