Has IF Global encouraged you to quit desktop simulation altogether?

You’ve gotta admit though, the lighting effects in XP11 are really quite gorgeous… wow.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t know. Price wise, Infinite Flight. But X-Plane does have a cockpit that has all the buttons and stuff however the graphics are way better on Infinite Flight. It is a close one but Infinite Flight wins. I think it has not encouraged me to quit the desktop simulators, just play Infinite Flight more.

1 Like

Im like the exact opposite. After my pro subscription ended and switched to FSX my my Mac Air 13.

1 Like

FSX I estimate would be the cheapest out of IF and X-Plane. You can get the game for under $10. FSX has tons of free addons that has the same functions as X-Plane aircraft. You can also buy good addon such as aersoft or pmdg that would run you $20-$50. In total, that would be around $50 to $60 one tie payment

2 Likes

I’ve tried to run XP11 but yeah… that failed, my computer was so laggy. So I guess yeah, it has encouraged me to quit desktop simming

1 Like

Yes, long ago. Desktop sims like XP11 are visually incredible and all that, but I’m not overly fussed on the over complicated PC experience.
I’m not interested in all the super detailed planes, with IF I can click and fly within a minute. Suits me fine!

1 Like

Not yet, still broke so can’t afford a subscription =(

I feel desktop simulators (X-Plane 11, P3D and the dinosaur FSX) are not comparable to a mobile flight simulator and each fills different niches. IF is more for the casual person who doesn’t necessarily know everything about aviation and is just interested in quickly getting in the air. A desktop simulator is more for people who know more about aviation and system involved in an aircraft (ie not just hitting the engine on button, but going through a full checklist). I actually plan on getting a new pc soon just to run X-Plane 11 as I want to become a commercial pilot in the future (I have ~6 hours in a Cessna 172) and I’d rather have systems simulated than simplicity. Also, desktop simulators offer multiplayer ATC services such as VATSIM or Pilotedge, the latter being especially professional requiring actual ATC knowledge (phonetic alphabet, actual spoken instructions ect…). However, Infinite Flight is fun because I can easily fly around the world while doing homework or other activates and if I just want to have fun.

A more realistic comparison to IF would be X-Plane Mobile, which is similar desktop simulators in terms of aircraft system simulation but has downfalls in terms of small scenery areas (smaller than before global) and no ATC, but its free and you get two detailed aircraft and most importantly, can run on tablets/phones/ect…

1 Like

I used to use FSX, but it doesn’t work on my PC anymore, so that’s when I got XPlane11. I don’t use it too much anymore because
A. The autopilot sucks
B. I’ve run out of ideas for short VR flights because
C. GLOBAL has distracted me from brainstorming ideas.

1 Like

Uploading…

Simplicity? What simplicity? I guess IF is what you make it :)

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be interesting to know how many IF pilots ALSO play a desktop based simulator?

Something tells me that many only use IF. I’m one of them :-)

2 Likes

When I say simplicity, I mean you don’t have to fiddle around with the cockpit to start the plane or other important tasks. You don’t have to navigate through a gps/fmc to make a flight plan, you have that map planner tool in the bottom left corner. HOWEVER, I’m not saying making complicated plans is simple, as evident by you in depth style of simulation, I simply mean you don’t get the full experience when flying aircraft in IF because of the lack of cockpit functionality which in turn makes it SIMPLER for a more ordinary person to get used to.

Haha, I knew what you meant. I was messing lol 😝

I would expect a good many simmers do, but at the same time, IF is a lot more accessible to someone who might not be capable of buying/building a sim rig!

With your way of flying I think you need to try a level d simulator!

I live just a bit over an hour away from Purdue, one of the top ten (five even?) aviation colleges in the nation. I wanna go try theirs… I even have friends there that can’t get me in lol

I’m all about dispatch releases, IFR flying rules, paperwork, trip planning… I figure that if I’m gonna be shooting for a 500 TT job within the next two years flying corporate somewhere, shouldn’t I try simulating that now?:)

1 Like

I have stopped playing P3D I still play it every so often but I feel Infinite Flight is easier (LOL) I think it’s more fun to fly with people on the community so that why I play IF more now, Infinite Flight should come onto PC because that would be so awesome having it on Mobile And PC would be great, only con I see they’d have lot of Competition

IF needs a desktop version. Period.

1 Like

I have never played a desktop simulator, so I guess I can say no.