Hard landing

Hi am just curious what vertical speed is a hard landing?

1 Like

Anything more than -400 is considered hard.

6 Likes

Anything harder than -200ft is a bad landing in my books. -300 would be hard and -100 is a good landing.

2 Likes

Ok cool, most of my landings are -200 FPM. I always go -500 in a A330. I just can’t seem to handle that aircraft.

If you are landing too hard, go faster and add throttle when you flare. That should help out a little 🙂

4 Likes

heres a chart i use on the daily:

Landing smoothness chart

Substantial spine injuries : -700 fpm
Co-pilot’s retainer fell out : -400 fpm
Like cold toast : -300
Marmelade : -200
Smooth : -150
Butter : -100
Creamy : -50
Silk : -10
moaning : -1

93 Likes

Please cite the FAA chart where you found that 😂😂

26 Likes

XDDDDD

LOL made it myself

3 Likes

Ok I will try that with the A330s. I just usually idle at 5-10 feet depending on aircraft.

1 Like

Here’s how I judge landings. 1. There are 3 steps too a perfect landing, unfortunately no one knows them. 2. Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing and I’f you can use the plane again it’s a great landing

12 Likes

I’ve found in most aircraft if you throttle up when you flare, not too much, but just right to get -100 landings, it does wonders. I’ve tried it on almost all aircraft and the harder ones to handle are so much easier now!

1 Like

Something ATCMemes would make

6 Likes

A landing can only be considered as hard if the vertical speed at touchdown exceeded the landing gear limits.
After a hard landing, the plane must be inspected and must get reapproved for flight.

For most airplanes, a hard landing occurs when the vertical speed on touchdown exceeds 700-800 feet per minute. A -400 feet per minute touchdown would be qualified as firm but definitely not hard.

6 Likes

Even the CRJ plane? I just don’t touch that anymore.

1 Like

I haven’t touched the CRJ in the last 6 months. You can give it a try.

I’m too nervous too fly that again.

1 Like

To butter the golden biscuit, and to not “knock out the co-pilot’s retainer” like @KindaAngrySliceOfPie mentioned 😂, TOD (top of descent) is a great way to level out your VS and not make sudden, quick changes, making the VS higher.

1 Like

I would think that anything above -500fpm would be hard.

1 Like

I found the Comment of the year

4 Likes

I try to aim anywhere imbetween -200 and -100 fpm