Hard landing in different aircraft

I am just curious what a hard landing would be in the CRJ aircraft and ERJ aircraft. When I land at a vertical speed of 160 fpm or above it feels as though I landed hard but on a A320 that isn’t hard at all.

5 Likes

160fpm is a very respectable landing, the ERJ family in particular are very easy to flare and therefore land… it may just be a trick of the camera.

Anything around 400 is “uncomfortable” so you’re doing absolutely fine!

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Hard landing:

Here’s a good example made by the slightly angry pie 😳

10 Likes

@Kate_Russell strives for perfection. I’m almost certain that the vs under 600 is ok. Firm landing is the correct word for under 600.

Even in the CRJ 200? It just feels hard.

1 Like

600 fpm is what I approached with lol.

1 Like

Dang. Yea I think you probably ok there with the crj. me need training lol

1 Like

I tried landing with the Cessna at -200 fpm like a jet and I flipped lol. That is why I asked this.

1 Like

Sometimes in heavy winds, you’ll have to plant it firmly to ensure safety. They can’t all be greasers lol

2 Likes

Cessnas are much slower so shouldn’t land nearly as hard as jets, not to mention that they have barely any suspension. If you are in a crosswind add half of the crosswind component to your landing speed so it’s safe. -300 is acceptable in my opinion, but I think it’s difficult to get there if you’re new. -850 I consider a crash as it is just about the same as a typical approach descent rate (in an airliner).

I don’t always grease it My normal level of landing 90% of the time is from -50 to -300 fpm. I try to avoid anything less as floating takes me past my exist point.

1 Like

Same. I’ll float it to just after the second set of || || markers if I really think I can pull off a grease job.

1 Like

I make the goal of landing the 737 semi firm as I am told that is what is required of it.

1 Like

I believe you’re correct

Anything around -200 or less is considered smooth
300 is average
400 is not anything passengers would enjoy
500 and beyond, forget about it

If you need help landing certain aircraft or have questions I’m here : )

1 Like

Excellent! Based on that chart, my average is marmelade… in the TBM! Can I choose the fruit?

1 Like

I think @DeerCrusher will be able to answer the ERJ!!

1 Like

Of course you can choose the fruit! Better than the retainer 🤷

1 Like

Raspberry please!

2 Likes

the 737-800 Is so hard to land
1st time(crashed)
2nd time (gear below ground)
3rd time(cockpit is gone)