Happy 50th Birthday F-16

Hello IFC Community, I don’t make many post but definitely had to do this one. Last week I had the honor of celebrating the 50th Birthday of the F-16 with one of my Mentors here at Edwards Air Force Base, California where the Air Force’s iconic [F-16] multirole fighter jet took its accidental first flight in 1974, celebrated the 50th anniversary of the event with two commemorative tail flashes: one for the prototype YF-16 and one for the 416th Flight Test Squadron, which has performed flight testing on the jet for decades.
Despite its age, the F-16 remains relevant with modernized radar, electronic warfare upgrades, and cockpit displays. The 416th Flight Test Squadron, also known as the Skulls, plays a large role, having tested out various weapons systems and specialized equipment for the Viper since 1989. Below are a few pictures that Edwin (Mentor) and I have taken of the events. Enjoy and thank you for viewing.

21 Likes

Awesome pictures @Dr3ambigg3r 😃
Thanks for sharing with the IFC here.
I didn’t realise F-16 just had their 50th anniversary, amazing it still relevant today - and regularly tested by 416th Flight Test Squadron.
I learned something new today 🙏

2 Likes

Yup! hopefully to 50 more years!

2 Likes

Thank you, I’m just happy to experience it in my lifetime. I thought the F-35 was supposed to phase out the F-16s but currently DoD has no plans on doing so until 2048-2050. They just keep upgrading them…
. @tjb0709

1 Like

Long live the F-16!

1 Like

theviper

“… and on the eighth day, god gave man the viper.”

2 Likes

best looking 4th gen fighter at nellis afb

Aviation Nation 2022

Ahhhh And to many more 🫡🫡
Thanks for stopping by brother

Yes Indeed, thank you for the support.
🙏🏾

The Gif and the quote just go perfectly together.

Love the photo and definitely love the TBirds. They are practicing at KEDW currently so we got a special treat for the event.

1 Like

F-16s will be employed in action in Ukraine when Ukraine Armed Forces receive the first planes any time now.

1 Like

I can hardly believe it’s 50. The best-looking fighter jet ever made.

2 Likes

Love the international use of this bird. Makes it that more special with so many operators @tjb0709

1 Like

The F-16s will definitely get more exposure in the news internationally in the coming months.
That reminds me the F-16 origins to the current modern sleek fighter jets we see today. As a comparison, the original Boeing 737 first commercial flight was in Feb 1968, on small size variant and over the decades grew with another variants in size, the Next Generation (NG)and now MAX.
56 years this month!

Amazing how long this bird has been in service. Here is to many many many more. Definitely best looking bird in my opinion as well

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.