Handover from Departure to Approach Frequency: Pilot Callouts

Here’s the scenario: Departure frequency is following your flight (i.e. no vectoring instructions). Departure hands you off to the center frequency during your climb. When following a filed FPL, what’s the proper pilot callout to the center frequency? I have been using “request flight following to [destination].”

I’m seeing pilots (of varying experience levels) request radar vectors or call or check in “with you at XX feet” when in the same position.

1 Like

Simply check in, nothing else.

9 Likes

Okay follow up: in what scenario would the pilot request flight following from the Center frequency?

Second point: It would be nice to have the option when checking in during the climb/descent phase to say “with you at 19K feet climbing to 35K feet” for example.

1 Like

Same as Approach/Departure.

3 Likes

Thanks. In all honesty the check-in feature and the flight following feature are incredibly similar and I have a tough time discerning between the two.

2 Likes

I really had the same issues, but from what I understood, Flight Following is for VFR flights, while Check-In is for IFR flights (those with a flightplan).

Please correct me if that’s not correct.

For any further reference I would also like to recommend you the user guide linked below:

3 Likes

Been using this damn sim for 8+ years…and still learning!!

1 Like

5 for me and absolutely the same. But you never stop learning like you said and that’s the great thing for me!

1 Like

6.5, 6.4.4

Refer to specifically these.

1 Like

@Mark_Eatman @JulianB

As they say, a good pilot is always learning!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.