Ground steering

Well, I was just thinking that. That of course is assuming you can keep the nose off the ground…hint hint…A320 series…

Thanks for the help

1 Like

Oh, there’s a trick for her too :)
I usually trim somewhere around 20-30% on the A320-series, and just as my main gear touches down i’ll pull back a little more.

I just landed with the A321 5 minutes ago, no bouncing :)

1 Like

Try landing with it off and then try it with it on, see if it is one of the things that could help you have better landings. I know with GA, it’s a must to turn that off. :)

2 Likes

you can also do some crosswind landings to practice.

This has always been (for me) the best solution for good precision landings

This is an interesting conversation. In summary I’d say I agree that disabling auto coordinate will be a huge help. When I first turned it off it was annoying to have to taxi with the rudder control. But all the extra practice with that little slider made it much more natural and gracefull to use on takeoff and landings. That’s aside from how it will help to keep the upwind wing down while I rudder the other direction.
I also agree that it’s crucial that I’m pointed at the far end of the runway when my nose wheel touches down. It’s ok to be a little off center line. On approach I focus on angle of attack not speed. I trim out the plane. So trim and speed will vary. It’s very important to have it trimmed so you have the control authority to keep your nose up.

3 Likes

That tutorial video posted above should help. A major ‘a-ha’ moment for me when I watched it, was when Mark said to try keep the nose wheel up for as long as possible when the rear wheels touch down (even though it may not be that long in general).

During that time frame when the 2 rear wheels are on the ground, but the nose wheel isn’t yet, you’ll want to use the rudder to center the nose to the runway lines (if it isn’t already). When the aircraft is in this stance, I find it much easier to steer with the rudder.

Once the nose wheel touches the runway, you shouldn’t have to do much correcting at that point if you centered the nose wheel before it touched the ground. Very small corrections using the rudder should be all you need at that point. Hitting the brakes when that nose wheel touches helps keep the aircraft in control on the runway as well.

The folks at IF are passionate about realism, and like you said, this is a realistic feature. IMO, it is best to just embrace the challenge. Study the tutorials. Practice short and finals in single player mode.

3 Likes

The best practice is 20kt crosswind in a cirrus or a Cessna 172. If you can do it with these, you will do it in any other aircraft.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.