Ground speed violations explanation needed

I need some understanding on how Ground speed violations work. I get the basics, speed at 250kts under 10000ft. But what I cannot understand is upon take off, I’ll set the speed to 250kts and the plane is still gaining speed yet I get no violations. However, while landing I get below 10000ft set the speed to 190kts or lower and due a tailwind the plane is gaining speed then you get a warning for over speeding below 10000ft. And the speed isn’t really going that fast either maybe 260kts while descending. When I’m taking off even though speed is set at 250kts before I get to 10000ft I’m pushing 280kts or greater

1 Like

You need to pay attention and be professional with the speed. First of all, you should never put your autopilot to 250 automatically. Maximum put it at 240-245. You gradually increase speed as you increase altitude. Having the AP set at 250 immediately can cause a problem later on because you’ll need a lot of thrust to increase the speed after FL100.

Secondly, it’s your responsibility to be cautious of the winds when descending. If you need to, extend flight spoilers or in the worst case, hold at an altitude until you’ve lost enough speed that it’s safe for you to continue your descent 👍

Hope this has answered your questions!

7 Likes

The larger the plane the more likely it will gain speed descending. A 787 descending more than 1500 VS will often increase in speed. Most pilots will hit 11k and level off to slow down and then descend past 10000. Most will descend with spoilers on to help gaining speed.

4 Likes

Just as was said above, you need to just keep a closer eye on your speed. Up until you reach cruising altitude, you’ll have to watch your speed closely. I’ve made the mistake of getting distracted and leaving my device once or twice, and then coming back to it and seeing that I’ve gotten a violation or two. Do not set your speed for 250 during takeoff because, 1, that will set your throttle to maximum thrust, which, in real life, would destroy the engine. I usually set it for around 85-95% depending on the aircraft, then once I rotate pull back slightly to around 75%-90% depending on the aircraft. But honestly, you should start to control your speed manually. It’s a great learning experience and will keep you from getting violation. You’ll also learn to fly each aircraft better.
And just as @Chris_S said, certain aircraft take longer to slow. Consider leveling off while descending to bleed off some speed, then continue. Even while climbing, level off and gain some speed if you’re in a heavier aircraft, then continue.
Hope this helps

2 Likes

No it doesn’t actually… In the most recent situation I had the speed set at 190kts even before I got to 10000ft then 180kts below that and still violations.

Speed AP does not actively slow you down or automatically deploy spoilers. All it does is maintain the the thrust. It will set the thrust at 0 but are descending you may gain speed because of the weight.

2 Likes

And why you’ll get the warning when descending and not after take off when your speed is increasing ?

1 Like

Just realised that you meant decent instead of climb. Anyways AP will always cut throttle to 0%. But that’s not enough to slow you down. You need to extent flight spoilers to help your decent, or as said above decrease your vertical speed or hold at an altitude.

Ok thanks. Understand a little better now I guess

You can also use the spoilers when descending. This creates drag which will slow the aircraft down quicker

Good to hear you got some good answers.
Not sure if we covered this one though:

Now taking off is general going up, isn’t it. Unless you have a 3000 kts tail wind (only found on the planet Mars) I don’t expect your airspeed to increase past the set speed during climbing.

So commenting on what you are describing here…

• don’t set your takeoff speed to 250. Set it to 245.
  • when reaches the set speed, it will shoot over this speed, and then settle on the speed you set on the auto-pilot
  • understand what speed you’re talking about there. 245 kts airspeed may well end up being 280 kts groundspeed when you’re gaining altitude.
2 Likes

Do you understand ground speed vs indicated airspeed?

Firstly, speed violations do not correspond with ground speed; only airspeed (indicated airspeed for those real avgeeks like me out there). this means you only have to worry about keeping your airspeed 250 or less when you are flyinh under 10000ft. Airspeed is the number you see in the cockpit or your HUD display. When flying, I recommend not setting your airspeed directly at 250 knots because the smallest variation in the air can cause your airspeed to increase , and if your airspeed is held over 250 knots for more than 20 seconds, you get a violation. Also, when descending (especially in heavier aircraft), your descent rate has a big impact on your airspeed. If you are descending too quickly, your airspeed will not decrease (and sometimes might even increase). So it is advised to set a low vertical speed and plan your descents in heavy aircraft much further out.

The only time you have to worry about grounds speed is when taxiing. The game registers this as when your wheels are touching a non-runway surface. So as long as you are going 35 knots or less on the ground, you’re fine.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

If you didn’t see you will start to get violations if you’re KIAS is 259 or greater.

This is a very common misconception. You will get a violation even if you are at 251 KIAS. Violations begin once you are above 250 KIAS for 20 seconds. Violations will continue to be given every 20 seconds until 6 violations are collected in one session and the system automatically ghosts you.

MaxSez; “No more Overspeeds,” The True aviator uses the AutoPilot primarily in Cruise. Consider the “Sterile Cockpit” rule for departures and arrivals plus the fact that IF does not have an auto-Throttle/Brake components. Practice Hand Flying In your future launch and final recovery procedures except when using auto-Land in IMC Cat ll/lll where your hand on the Throttle or else!

It’s always the man not the machine that caused Overspeeed “Pilot Error” due to technical/procedure incompetence. Scan & Fly the (expletive deleted) plane”
Just Sayin, Max

Just to clear up some confusion that I have read above. Your airspeed indicates how fast you are traveling through the air, and this is measured with the data recorders on the nose of the aircraft. This however does not factor in the wind, so your airspeed will not be affected by wind speeds. Your ground speed is how fast you are moving past the ground, which does factor in the wind speed. Tailwinds during descent or landing will only affect your ground speed and not your airspeed, and you only get violations for airspeeds in the air. What I would suggest is using flight spoilers to keep your airspeed down when descending, and keep your downward velocity relatively low to prevent the aircraft accelerating during descent.

And on the note about setting your autopilot to an airspeed of 250 knots, that is not a good habit to get in to. There can always be anything that can affect your airspeed, so setting it up to 250 is not the best choice. I personally keep it at 245 knots to avoid any ridiculous violations.

While the advertised limit is 250 as long as you are under 260 it should not give you a violation. It goes Warning-> 20 seconds -> violation ->20 seconds ->violation. After 6th violation you are kicked from the session with a session ghost.

I think we have beat this to death as we are to the point of repeating the same things in different ways. The OP’s question was answered by indication of their reply. All of the above is good advice.

2 Likes