Ground operations help in IF

Hi IFC,

For quite a while I have been wondering how to actually taxi as close to how it is done in real life in IF. I feel that I don’t really know what I am doing on the ground, and don’t know my way around with markings and speeds on the ground.

Just something to say is I know the taxi limit is 35knts and I understand when to use ATC and what to say.

So what am I looking for?

Well it would be really helpful if someone could do me a semi tutorial written out on how to do things from pushing back to take-off. Including things like:

• How long should a push back take (as close to real life as possible and what to do and the order to do things in)
  • What % throttle you use to get the plane moving
  • At what speed you should taxi, on straight taxi ways and going round corners (because common sense says it’s slower)
  • And obviously anything else that will make the experience on the ground as accurate as possible

I’m really looking for specifics to get my ground operations as close to real life as I can in IF. If you could do the operations in chronological order I would appreciate it.

Any help with this will be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Alex

4 Likes

• If Im lined up after pushback i start checking everything. If thats done I contact ground

• in real life they use arround 30% for taxiing

• straight taxiing is arround 20 knt and in courners 10 knt

Thats is what I do👍🏼

2 Likes

Alrighty, let me tackle down your question by telling you how i do it. I’m not a professional but i have been perfecting my skills to resemble reality as much as possible.

Q1. How long should a push back take (as close to real life as possible and what to do and the order to do things in)
Answer: How long it’ll take depends on how far back the taxi line is compared to your parking area. I typically pushback and turn 90 degrees so my plane faces towards the expected runway. And while pushback i start engine number 2 (and 1 if it’s 747) on Boeing or engine 1 (and 2 if it’s A380) on Airbus. Once i’m lined up i start and other engine(s) and set flaps depending on weight, runway length and other factors… This process takes a good 2 or 3 minutes, and if the airport isn’t crowded you could prolong this procedure by a couple of more minutes.

Q2 + Q3. What % throttle you use to get the plane moving?
At what speed you should taxi, on straight taxi ways and going round corners (because common sense says it’s slower)
Answer: I’ll answer 2 and 3 together as they are very closely related. So i use 20% throttle approximately, get the engines running and once i hit around 18kts GS then i put my throttle to idle. Sometimes i might taxi as fast as 20-25kts sometime slightly slower at 13-15kts, but 17-19kts sounds good and which i aim for most of the time. And yes, slow down when turning around bends and corners.

Q4. And obviously anything else that will make the experience on the ground as accurate as possible
Answer:

• Well don’t race other players to the runway to be first to takeoff, like some people do on TS…

• Don’t taxi faster than 25kts, in my opinion even that is too fast keep it at 17-23 at max.

• Listen to ATC which i think you already do :)

• Give way to other aircraft when needed.

• Don’t slam your rudder in a direction when turning. Move it gently.

• Lastly, i’d say be calm and receptive towards others, don’t rush things, and just move along with the flow. Ground isn’t much difficult. I’m pretty sure you’re already doing most things correctly, so all you need to do is continue that way and add what i’ve written above :)

Hope it helped, any further questions, don’t hesitate to ask here or PM me, i’ll be happy to help :)

6 Likes

Not exactly a tutorial but a rough guide to what I do based on observations of real life ( worth watching some of the Pilots Eye TV videos on you tube as well)

1. Before spawning I prepare my flight plan, I normally use Simbrief as this gives me an idea of the active runways. If my flight is based on a real life flight then I will also get the correct gate from Flightaware as well. Part of my pre-flight is to check the charts which includes the ground one for the starting airport so I have an idea on the taxi route.

2. On spawning at the gate I first of all program in my flight plan as well as weight and balance as well. Same time I check to see what active runways are in use on IF as well as note if here is any ATC in action and what they are instructing aircraft to do.

3. Prior push back I switch on the seatbelts, no smoking, nav and beacon. Then request pushback ( if ATC). and follow their instructions according. If you have done your homework you should know which way to point!

4. Once fully back and lined up on the yellow taxi line, I then start the engines up, normally 2 first and then 1 (or 3,4 followed by 1,2 on a 4 holer). When all engines are ready I then request taxi to active runway. Note in real life the flaps are set at this stage, but in IF I wait till 1st in line.

5. On permission to taxi I increase throttle to about 30% to get moving, then reduce to idle when moving. Around the gates I keep to 10kts max, corners 15kts and max 25kts on the straights, always follow the yellow taxi lines.

6. In general GIVE WAY to aircraft on your right side and those coming off the active runway. When moving to take off use the taxi way closest to the runway itself. The one closer to the Terminal is used by aircraft just landed ( bugger international only usually)

7. When first in line to take off switch to Tower Frequency. Don’t do this before unless requested to by ATC. Set flaps for take off.

8. When aircrafts in front of you starts it’s takeoff roll then switch on your landing lights and strobe then request take off.

Easy!

Happy flying!

2 Likes

Watch some of @Mark_Denton tutorials, especially while he is on the ground. He taxis like a pro.

I usually move to external cam and position it above so I can see where I am going as well as look ahead to make sure the taxiway I am going down does not have traffic coming the other way.

• Look at the free cam and plan how you are going to taxi.
  • Plan ahead for your turns.

One of the biggest things I see is at airports where there are multiple runways and multiple taxiways. At some point someone is going to go down a taxiway with a plane coming the opposite way. I’m sure there are more official rules but for the sake of simplicity this is what I have observed from my years of traveling and talking with people who know such things. :)

Take this picture for example from KDFW

• It has multiple runways where the outside runway is used for landings and the inside used for take off.
  • It also has multiple taxiways that run parallel to the runway.
  • Typically the taxiway directly next to the runway goes in the same direction as the runway. If they are taking off/landing from the north, then the taxiway traffic goes north-south.
  • The next taxiway goes the opposite direction.
  • This allows traffic exiting the runway an opportunity to taxi and not back up traffic landing.

Take this example, say you just landed on the outside runway,

If you are taxiing to the gate where the green star is…

• After asking for permission to cross the other runway, you taxi across the first taxiway and go to the inside lane that is going north to get to your gate. - Follow the purple line.

If you are taxiing to the south gate where the orange star is…

• After asking for permission to cross the other runway, you taxi to the first taxiway and go to the lane that is going south to get to your gate. Follow the orange line.

You will see that by using the correct taxiway, you (hopefully) eliminate the chances of running into another plane going the opposite direction.

Sorry I didnt expect this post to get so large, but oh well.

10 Likes

Thank you @Mell_Ijzerman @Chris_S @David_Lockwood @Captain_JR For your replies! They where very useful and just what i needed. Thanks again.

4 Likes

Good responses from everyone above. I also do the same. Something that wasn’t mentioned though was the ‘flight control testing.’

I personally do this after pushing back and starting my engines. The process is quite simple:

• Turn the yoke full left, then right.
  • Pull yoke full back, then push full forward.
  • Alternate these movements together (full left and back; full left and forward etc).
  • Rudder full left, then right.
  • Finally, spoilers deployed, then retracted.

After this procedure, I put down the flaps to the appropriate setting and request taxi.

6 Likes

Yeah, i do the same actually. Thanks for your reply.

1 Like

Omg, i totally forgot to mention that, thanks for bringing it up Nathan :)

3 Likes

Good spot Nathan on the testing of flight controls! Also I completely forgot to mention that like @Chris_S I use the outside camera from time of pushback until I am lined up on the runway.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.