Ground Control Question

Out of curiosity, is it standard that ground clears traffic to cross active runways? Wouldn’t that be a job for tower? How does tower and ground cooardinate this successfully in IF? Thanks for your feedback and suggestions and apologies if this isn’t where this qestion belongs.

They coordinate with the map, if a plane is on short final or is on the runway it is unlikely that ground will let them cross.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. And that seems common sense enough, but what about when an airport is super busy like KLAX? This is my biggest struggle with ground. Other then that, I feel like a champ lol.

1 Like

Hmm, KLAX is always busy… best thing is to tell them to expedite while crossing?

1 Like

Am I crazy to think this could be more useful in towers commands? Wonder who handles it in the real world…🤔

1 Like

There is a cross runway command for the tower frequency.

3 Likes

I’m not entirely sure how it’s handled in real life, but it’s Ground who does that. It can get messy when Tower & Ground do not communicate, since Ground could cross someone while Tower just cleared someone for take-off. So best is to take both Tower & Ground when you cannot communicate outside Infinite Flight.

If there is communication between Tower & Ground, it’s gonna be tough to do it without dangerous situations.

1 Like

On expert we will decide who crosses when we open. Mostly its ground. For example last night while I was YSSY ground and Josh was YSSY tower .25 was only used for deps so if there were none then I just crossed them, while 16R was being used a lot so I asked Josh on slack if I could cross and he would make a gap for me to cross people in.

3 Likes

Holy smokes, I missed that as I was controlling tower. Nor did I receive rwy crossing requests as tower, only as ground. Thanks for clearing that up and for correcting my spelling in the title 😇 Trying to learn in playground is like trying to learne Chinese in an hour lol

You can not request to cross a runway while on tower. which is why people get impatient and switch to ground even thought they were not instructed to do so. Eg of this happening is Parallel runways when to tell a plane to exit and hold short of a runway

2 Likes

I’m almost to the point where I’m going to reach out to a trainer to fine tune my ATC skills! I really cannot wait to get out of playground or TS1 when I want to control lol.

You guys all Rock! Thank you @FabianBouw and friends for the help!

3 Likes

Ground control handles ground traffic… but the ground controller will receive permission from the local controller (tower) to cross any active or inactive runway, unless otherwise defined in a local LOP.

3 Likes

Ground control handles runway crossings to aircraft “for” that frequency, example: being changed to Ground means you get your runway crossings from Ground.

On another note 📝 tower handles runway crossings “for” that frequency. Example: After exiting the runway and may need to cross another before contacting ground.

I hope you get the picture buddy, it’s quite hard to explain.

1 Like

It depends because at places like KLAX or KORD, as soon as you land tower may give you instructions exit runway when able cross runway 24L (at KLAX for example) and contact ground. Or the ground may authorise you to cross if far from the runway you landed at e.g at EBBR, EDDL, WMKK to mention a few with permission from atc(tower) or when there is no conflicting traffic using the runway.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.