Grandmother seeks compensation as 12-year-old given booze on flight

A 12-year-old boy has been accidentally given alcohol on a Bali Bound flight. The Jetstar flight, from the sunshine state capital of Brisbane to the popular Indonesian city of Denpasar had the 12-year-old and his grandmother onboard around 7 months ago when the grandmother complained to cabin crew that the 12-year-old that he was given a double gin and squash.

The boy complained that it “tastes yuck”. It happened when the crew took two similar looking drinks back to the galley during turbulence and obviously confused the two when bringing them back out. The crew asked the adult passenger to taste test the drink to make sure if it was the right one, he agreed it was the right one and the other one was given to the boy. Obviously, his tasted wrong and the boy was given the adults drink. The grandmother says he reacted to the booze with hay fever, watering eyes, sneezing and a headache.

The grandmother was offered $400 in flight vouchers however she wasn’t impressed with the offer and wanted a “free trip to somewhere” and have contacted lawyers, however, no legal action has been taken. Jetstar has apologized for the incident.

Jetstar’s 787-8 Dreamliner, the aircraft used on the Brisbane-Denpasar route, taxiing at Sydney Airport photo credit

12 Likes

Geeze! Poor kid, I think the 400$ voucher was a good way to apologize.

11 Likes

Well they gave it to the adult passenger to make sure it was right. It’s not Jetstar’s fault in any bit.

8 Likes

Wow. My father told me when I was 13 I mistakenly tasted a sip of red wine from my mom’s glass and when my mom took it away I demanded for more!

8 Likes

I would of taken the booze and not complained!

3 Likes

I am going take a wild swing but at 12 years old I highly doubt you knew what Alcohol tasted.

3 Likes

Lol! It was extreme sarcasm! Guess nobody likes humor in there posts! #2018

1 Like

Wow this is a weird incident

1 Like

This is a new level of stupidity… wow

2 Likes

for anyone wondering, this paragraph contained no sarcasm, it’s all factual

2 Likes

Free booze? Sure
Honestly, mistakes happen, the crew asked the adult poassenger, who took “his” drink, not the crews fault at all. 400$ is quite a nice compensation, considering no one gets sick after one sip (maybe after 100 sips, and the day after).

2 Likes

Awesome news! But weird…
Don’t understand why a grandmother would do this :/

Okay, not something you’d like to happen to your own child, but I think this is just her looking for something more than an apology from the airline.
Someone maybe looking for their 15 mins of fame…

3 Likes

I think people overreact sometimes to what happens. Ok facts are facts and something that shouldn’t have happened happened… but saying he got sick and who know what else is exaggerated. He’s twelve not 1. His body can support a bit of alcohol no problem so he wasn’t in danger. I think she should have left with the 400$ voucher. Lots of people try to get over compensated for things because they know they will get it. The company will definitely agree to give even more money. For them it’s not half as bad as Loosing their image. And since people overact so much the chances of losing image is really high.

The 12 year old probably didn’t like the taste and that’s normal if it was high in alcohol. But really that’s probably not the first time he got alcohol. He probably/definitely already had some in his life just in small quantities. And this was a small quantity.

Now I’m not trying to say the airline has no fault in all of this. What happened is inacceptable and shouldn’t have happened, but the reaction in my opinion shouldn’t have been like that.

5 Likes

If im the parents,yes its an unacceptable mistake but mistakes do happened sometimes and 400 dollar compensation is enough… i think the grandmother wants more from jetstar…

2 Likes

People will never be happy with what they get they want more and more, personally the fact the airline is willing to give you 400 dollars in vouches is pretty good!

4 Likes

Actually it’s attendant’s fault. If I had confused those drinks up, I would dump them and make new one. That is good way to avoid making a mistake that could blow up into a headline news.

However, grandmother is just wasting her time trying to up the compensation. She’s just too disgruntled.

1 Like

Hey I’m 12 years old too but I don’t drink anything bad!😂

2 Likes

Good! Make healthy choices lol

3 Likes

What a greedy passenger. You can fly for $400 round trip by yourself. Blame the guy who taste tested the drink, not the airline. Geez.

2 Likes